OT: 69% are worse off

============= Ford market cap 11.46 billion $UE

GM market cap 7.36 billion $US
total 18.82 billion.

From the media reports Chrysler now has a negative net worth. This has to be estimated as Chrysler is now a private company.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

I didn't see it until you mentioned it, and I just read the Bloomberg story. I guess we're in for a revisiting of what kinds of actions constitute bank fraud, eh?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Man, you must have one hell of a big pond.

I have no idea about your question, but remember, "cetane number" is the way they rate diesel fuels, and the biological order for whales is "cetacea." There must be an opportunity in there somewhere, like Reagan's line about the pony.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yeah George but you are leaving out the "Good Will". LMFAO!!

Reply to
John R. Carroll

======= So take a little off, like 2 billion each....

While in jest, it is exactly these types of "assets" that appear to be filling their vaults (and pension plans).

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

I don't think the education system in this country is nearly as bad as some make it out to be. I think the reason it seems bad is because of the students attending it these days and the parents who send them. I bet if you did an experiment and sent a student of average intelligence through an average school system, monitored him for K through 12, and made him do a fair amount of work, you'd have a well educated individual. The problem is so many blacks and Hispanics in the system really are lowering the averages. I don't know what the problem is with the blacks but they really have trouble even in this country. Today I saw on TV that blacks now make up 49% of the AIDS cases in the country. That's when they only amount to 13% of the population. What's the excuse for that? As a group they are also extremely obese. So they can't control their weight, they have AIDS at a ridiculous rate, and only half of them can even get a high school diploma. At some point you have to look elsewhere for why there are so many problems for blacks in such a rich country. It can't all be because of discrimination.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Is this the Andy Cuomo that scrapped a perfectly viable just built nuclear power plant when he was Governor?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:26:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

abandoned as

lifetime. If

differently. Part

after all,

the cheapest

rest of us

(I love it, Wes.)

Good one! More on alGore's nemesis:

-- Imagination is more important than knowledge... Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:16:46 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Here's another one for ya, Ed:

-- Imagination is more important than knowledge... Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wes wrote: In

after all,

That I'd bet money against. At least the ones I've seen in NM and TX There isn't any water within a zillion miles to cool the beasties. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Ha! They should put him in front of a wind generator and have him yell into it. He could power half of Peoria all by himself.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:37:53 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

He'd likely power half the Eastern seaboard. I'm glad I don't personally know anyone like him, but the stats about out CONgress are even more unseemly, non?

-- Imagination is more important than knowledge... Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They could be, if they're true.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Have you ever noticed that when you hear people railing about how bad the congress is it always seems that it's a right winger saying it? And have you ever noticed that these right wing types who seem to hate congress so much and think congresspeople are no damn good also think they are so much better than them? The funny thing is that congresspeople are drawn from the same public as everyone else and most of them are better educated and just as good if not better than the people they represent. What I'm sure of is that the people doing all the criticising of congress are no better than the people in congress, and in fact are actually worse people than the congressmen. Nothing is worse than someone that is so bothered by the behavior of people in power but would be worse if they had the chance. It's probably a good thing we have the people in congress that are there. If we replaced them with the loudmouths doing all the griping about congress we'd be ten times worse off than we are now.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I don't disagree completely, but Larry really is a different case. He's a certified moralist and hates them all because they don't play nice. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Then I should expect to hear him railing against Ted Steven (R) of Alaska. He was indicted today by the FBI. His son was implicated in some unsavory behavior in the Alaska legislature too. Now, in their case those guys are probably worse people than those they represent. Of course, they are republicans which is a redundancy. The problem with Larry is that as much as he tries to come across as an equal opportunity critic, from what I have seen he is a lot easier on the right wing folks than the left wing ones. For instance, he's a lot more critical of Obama than McCain. I've seen McCain for his whole career and there is a lot to criticize him for. Right off the top of my head was being a member of the "Keating Five" and another was his cowardly stance on the Confederate flag controversy in North Carolina. There are many others. Obama, being so new to the scene, just doesn't have a bad record to criticize but Larry still finds a lot more wrong with him. So to me he's right wing biased. I admit I am anti republican/right wing but I am not pro Democrat. I just can't stand them damn republicans. But then, these days a lot of people have come around to my way of thinking.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

The question is also, will a Democratic president be able to do any better with the shitty situation he is inheriting.

A great deal also depends on the kind of Congress the next president gets to work with.

Reply to
Abrasha

Ken Lay is dead.

Reply to
Abrasha

Abrasha wrote in news:X5-dnVEB3YaoShLVnZ2dnUVZ_u- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Most unlikely since the "promises" that have already been made have one by one been "modified" so many times that it's clear that Obama hasn't a clue as to just what the "situation" really is.

The only believable statement that he's made - to date - was "I want to be the next President".

For the most part it'll be the same collection of crooks that have been there for years.

Reply to
Eregon

Tolstoy is not too shabby either. I'm finally reading "Anna Karenina". It appears we haven't learned much about human nature/psychology that Tolstoy hadn't intuitively understood more than a hundred years ago.

Reply to
ATP*