OT: Alarm system motion detector

Sounds like an inside job. Got any raccoons working there?

Reply to
ff

No go. What you're going to need is an IR source plus a fan with IR-reflective blades. "Your" motion detector turns on the fan and IR source, which causes IR to be spewed around the room, and should trigger the ADT detectors (If they aren't the "sonar" type...)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Gas.. definitely the situation for gas. Isn't it nitric oxide that shows the effect after they go to sleep? Let their crummy friends dispose of the body..

John

Reply to
JohnM

It sounds as if you are paying ADT for a system that isn't doing its job. Why would it cost you $400 to get them to make the system right?

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Does the ADT motion detector require movement of a "heat" signiture? I know many of the stand alone motion detectors, (like those that work turning on lights), will not work with just motion, but require a "heated" surface to be moving from one zone to another monitored by the sensor.

If motion only is the need, use an occilating fan with streamer ribbons tied to the grill, place it where it will move between two of the spacial zones that the sensor monitors, and it should trip the sensor.

If HEAT and Motion is needed, you could use a heating pad suspended in the air by two strings, have the separate system trigger a relay to turn on both the heating pad and a occilating fan aimed so it passes by the heating pad and causes it to move and swing. Maybe that will trigger the ADT motion detector.

You asked for "any ideas?" these are free, you get what you pay for. ;-) Hope you solve your theft problem

Reply to
Clamdigger

I took over a contract when I purchased a house. That was the biggest mistake I made. ADT is not the service you should have. Change when your contract ends.... Make sure you can get out and expect to be hounded and threatened after the contract runs out. I was! Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

If you want heat with motion, how about one of the those flickering multifiiament fake cadle flame light bulbs?

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

The last ADT sales person here was a young female oriental type. I offered to demonstrate my Staffordshire alarm system and Winchester anti theft equipment. Ten minutes latter, the officer explained that she needed help in the laundry department and suggested I should post a "no soliciting" sign after which I would be justified in offering gentle assistance to the property line. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller
[ ... ]

Get bigger kitties. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The thieves have figured out where the 4 motion detectors are and they avoid them. The Security service goes in every couple of hours.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This is really starting to sound like an inside job. Set up a surveilance camera recording on-site that only you know about and then you can see who's getting all the fish. You should be able to rent or borrow a system like that for a couple of weekends.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Tom, I believe most motion detectors are infared - and you may simply be able to aim an infraed heat lamp at a motion detector on ATD's system and operate it via a relay (latching in type) so when *your* motion detectors pick up movement, the heat lamp comes on tripping the ATD system. HTH Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Back when my wife and I were in the pet store business one of our wholesalers had a 8' monitor lizard that he left loose at night.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Pretty sure that's correct....

As I understand it, these sensors pick up "average ir emmision".....this is sampled upon some established periodic ( time period )....if /when there is some change in total amount ir being recieved that is above (or below ) the 'setpoint' ( perhaps established as an average of the last ten samples or so)...(and it occurs within too fast of a time frame) then the alarm is triggered.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Tony..you got a spare unlocked DSC PC 1500, or PC3000 control kicking around anywhere I could trade Stuff for? The 3000 in my house took a dump.

Ive got the LCD displays in the proper places, but the control is toast after 15 yrs of operation.

Gunner, once technical services manager for an alarm/data/telecom company

Gunner

If you own the system, install your own sensors where they will do the most good on the premises. PIR or microwave/PIR can be seriesed with the existing sensors. They are more than likly NC switches. Just cut one wire, extend the loop out through the new sensors NC contacts, splice the 12vt DC power lines and voila..new/additional sensors on the same zones. I might even have some NOS PIRs kicking around. I know Ive got a number of NOS photo electric beam units still in the boxes and at least one RACAL long range microwave sensor system 1000' range

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner

Close, the detectors use two sensors and compare the outputs with each other. In front of the sensors a fresnel lens which creates a comb shaped sensitivity pattern in front of the detector. A heat source moving across the field of view creates a set of IR fringes which move across the two detectors and generate an alarm. A lightbulb with a fan in front and in the field of view of the detector should do the job.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

snip

Why not just direct the fan onto something (hanging blanket, etc ???) that *will* trigger the ADT when it moves?

Regards

Reply to
rlincolnh

sensitivity

Only takes a single sensor, though some designs will use two.

You are looking for abrupt changes in the total amount of recieved IR energy is all......

Now, if you are wanting to track alt-azimuth with servomotors as in for the aiming of weapons systems, etc. then I would suggest using three sensors.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

And do it without saying anything about it to anyone. ANYONE! (You never know who's talking to the wrong person, perhaps even unbeknownst to them).

Part of security is a closed mouth. I've been well burned by saying too much about an alarm system.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos