OT: Alarm system motion detector

EUREKA! Will try!
says...

What you REALLY want is fewer breakins. That means activating something BEFORE the breakin. Maybe put a screen door on the outside of the door they come thru, that turns on lights and sound effects when they open that, while your security perimeter is still unbroken.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:38:07 GMT, the opaque "Tom Gardner"

(top-posting corrected)

If the walls don't give clues, have you checked above 8' and on the roof for access potential?
My dad used a Popular Mechanics (or Pop Sci) article to design an inductive sensor for his yard (cats breaking in) eons ago. (Everyone hates tomcats pissing on the bushes in front of their homes, making them smell like downtown alleys, huh?) He ran a simple wire around the top of his fence perimeter and
Google up "inductive alarm system", Tom. Then build/buy one and use it to rim the building, activating a 5-camera surveillance system on alarm. One camera on each wall outside and one behind the TV to catch _faces_. X-10 will work for a budget system with any old VCR, or send it to the Internet for home monitoring if you're connected at work.
Or "tag" 'em with something like this for tracking. <bseg> http://www.syntronics.net/Telemetry%20Equipment.htm Nah, a 40mm projectile tag might be a bit too much for food theft, but it would certainly get their and their friends' attention.
This might be your way to get away from ADT's bungling: http://www.fibersensys.com/prod_specs/Copperhead_brochure.pdf http://www.fibersensys.com/perimeter_security.html
http://circuitos.tripod.cl/schem/r110.gif Rig up something like this to the fridge and cameras so you catch the thieves in the act.
http://www.4qdtec.com/ultra.html Ultrasonics set up in the fridge area (with cameras/vcr/etc.) will help you catch them on film.
Let us know what you end up with, eh?
- Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount! ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 07:04:02 -0700, Larry Jaques

Just did a googled inductive alarm system and didn't find anything like your dads system. Could you elaborate further on building/making such a system.
DE
-
Well, Tom, it sounds like you have some hungry neighbors. Maybe you should set food out for them.
- - Rex Burkheimer
Tom Gardner wrote:

Do the guards have access to the inside (key)? Long ago I installed alarm systems. More than once the minor problems were the guards themselves. Just a thought.
Surprising that ADT isn't more helpful as your situation is not a positive advertisement.
At my parents cottage my Dad installed a motion light and then hooked up a large radio and big light to it. It was only ever activated twice and nothing was missing. Try the same thing except add an audio tape that starts when the power is activated, thief's hate voices. Activating the motion sensor should work with a light.
I think the motion detector works or changes in the infrared levels. So a person ( warm object ) will trigger it, but a fan will not. But if you had a infrared emmitter placed so the fan blades modulated the levels that the motion detector saw............ So how about a light placed so the fan blades cast shadows on the motion detector. Easy to try.
Dan
Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote: so my idea is to install

No go. What you're going to need is an IR source plus a fan with IR-reflective blades. "Your" motion detector turns on the fan and IR source, which causes IR to be spewed around the room, and should trigger the ADT detectors (If they aren't the "sonar" type...)
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Tom Gardner wrote:

Sounds like an inside job. Got any raccoons working there?
Tom Gardner wrote:

Gas.. definitely the situation for gas. Isn't it nitric oxide that shows the effect after they go to sleep? Let their crummy friends dispose of the body..
John
JohnM wrote:

Does the ADT motion detector require movement of a "heat" signiture? I know many of the stand alone motion detectors, (like those that work turning on lights), will not work with just motion, but require a "heated" surface to be moving from one zone to another monitored by the sensor.
If motion only is the need, use an occilating fan with streamer ribbons tied to the grill, place it where it will move between two of the spacial zones that the sensor monitors, and it should trip the sensor.
If HEAT and Motion is needed, you could use a heating pad suspended in the air by two strings, have the separate system trigger a relay to turn on both the heating pad and a occilating fan aimed so it passes by the heating pad and causes it to move and swing. Maybe that will trigger the ADT motion detector.
You asked for "any ideas?" these are free, you get what you pay for. ;-) Hope you solve your theft problem
wrote:

If you want heat with motion, how about one of the those flickering multifiiament fake cadle flame light bulbs?
Doug White
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:35:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu (Doug White) wrote:

If you own the system, install your own sensors where they will do the most good on the premises. PIR or microwave/PIR can be seriesed with the existing sensors. They are more than likly NC switches. Just cut one wire, extend the loop out through the new sensors NC contacts, splice the 12vt DC power lines and voila..new/additional sensors on the same zones. I might even have some NOS PIRs kicking around. I know Ive got a number of NOS photo electric beam units still in the boxes and at least one RACAL long range microwave sensor system 1000' range
Gunner
Gunner

Nope! they use some strange combination of contacts including a switch on the cover that alerts ADT even with the system is disarmed that a cover is off.
why not have them add a door sensor somewhere (e.g. bathroom door) and then use an electromagnet to close it (leaving hte door open) then you can unpower the electromagnet when you want to trigger the alarm

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:37:07 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Tom: We've already established that your problem is ADT themselves. If you have told them that there are constant break-ins at the building, and they can't figure out where they are getting in, and how to detect them either before or after they get in, it's time to fire them and get in another security company. While they have some real smart people at the large security congloms, a lot of them are (to be charitable) not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.
Not to mention that they overcharge on the monthly rates to cover the "Free" equipment and "Free" service, and they don't drop the rates when the contract is fulfilled - TANSTAAFL.
Does the alarm have supervised arm/disarm? That'll pinpoint it if it's an inside job, because the alarm company will have a record of who armed or disarmed the system - and when. Often, the building fire/theft insurance company will insist on supervision.
The problem is, if you have ADT put in the panel they use proprietary crap that only they can program, or monitor. You have to rip out the panel and start over - which is probably a good thing.
Serious suggestion: Go get one or two TV cameras or Webcams, installed on a weekend when you're alone, and aim one of the cameras at that refrigerator. Borrow a time-lapse VCR or use a video capture card in a PC.
Or for a more permanent solution that (if you have a highspeed connection at the shop and at home) you can watch from home, go down to Costco and pick up their security system for about a grand. One color monitor with a quad switcher and a DVR hard-drive recorder with internet interface, and four cameras. Anything moves, and it starts recording every frame.
Hell, you could have a raccoon living in the neighborhood that figured out how to get inside the shop and raid the breakroom fridge. That would explain why the PIR/MW motion sensors are never tripped, it's under the size/mass threshhold.
If nothing else, the footage you get would certainly qualify for entry at America's Funniest Home Videos...
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

motion
ADT's
It sounds as if you are paying ADT for a system that isn't doing its job. Why would it cost you $400 to get them to make the system right?
Shawn
I took over a contract when I purchased a house. That was the biggest mistake I made. ADT is not the service you should have. Change when your contract ends.... Make sure you can get out and expect to be hounded and threatened after the contract runs out. I was! Randy