OT: Am I the only one annoyed with eBay at the moment?

Hi folks,
eBay has been annoying me recently. I use it because it's a unique (and very effective way) to find items which are otherwise hard to get. And
it's also a good way to sell things I don't want. But I think it's going downhill. The interfaces are getting more and more complicated and less reliable, and a gorilla could provide better customer service. I want pages which load fast, no stupid "do you know about this new feature you couldn't possibly want?" pages and real people who care when I tell them things suck. Does anyone else feel the same?
Rant over. Sorry for the OT post.
Chris

eBay has changed. It is in a constant state of change. They are not going to do things the way every seller wants to do it, or they wouldn't get anything done.
You just have to learn to make lemonade at any time. In the beginning, ebay was underpriced, and a very cheap way to sell goods. People were making tons of money from garage sale items where people didn't know what they had or what it was worth. That is still true today, but to a lesser degree. You just have to work harder. And it costs more. BUT, if you are trying to sell a $25 item, you can't beat it. An ad in your local rag for a week will cost that much, and you just might find some doofus that will pay you $50 for a $25 item. It happens all the time.
As with any capitalistic enterprise, you have to change with the market. Don't blame the market, learn how to exploit it to your advantage. Time spent at kvetching could be spent developing a new strategy.
It ain't perfect, but it is what's available. Hell, if you got a better idea, do it, and the world will beat a path to your door step like it to Amydior's. (sp)
Roll with it. It's a puzzle. Figure it out.
Steve (an eBay PowerSeller)
Omidyar
SteveB wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I see what you're saying, Steve, but cost isn't my main complaint. I think eBay are really complicating their interfaces - I mean, who wants little "Did you know?" bubbles and e-mails which say "Thank you for writing to eBay. Your message is important to us"? Stuff like that annoys me. There are hundreds of kilobytes of code on some eBay pages, and a good bit of that is unnecessary. And tonight I kept logging in to eBay, and five minutes later it would ask me to log in again. It did this five times and I always selected the "keep me logged in" box. eBay has been less reliable and less easy to use recently. Which brings me to my other point: customer service. It is virtually non-existent. If they kept their website simpler and spent the money they saved on real customer service people I'd be much happier.
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

There are entire newsgroups dedicated to griping about Ebay. Try talking to your local phone company if you want annoying... they provide real people reading scripts and pushing unwanted products...

You're preaching to the choir. I have had some good go rounds with them. It is difficult to get hold of a human most times. But, they have resolved almost every situation, at times calling ME.
Yes, it is unnecessarily complicated, and far more than it used to be. It would be nice to put a cap on it before they make it too hard to navigate.
Steve
After getting a working TIG welder for $9.99, it is very hard to be annoyed at eBay, for me. That said, I do have my complaints also. As far as selling is concerned, we have a Fall slump sandwiched between the summer slowdown and lackluster winter season.
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:16:29 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy

I can't get them to listen either. I deleted my favorite sellers list yesterday, because Ebay decided for me that I needed to be emailed every time they added something to their listings. Their main page take 3 minutes to load and myebay isn't much better. I am on dial up and things take too much time to load. Some items that I am interested in take so long to download that I leave the page after a few minutes of staring at a blank screen.
Richard W. wrote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Richard. eBay was nearly impossible to use before we got broadband, and even down it's the slowest site I visit. They should bin about 75% of the graphics and JavaScript on their pages, but I assume they think it looks Kool. I'll bet eBay designers are the kind of people who buy a car with sat nav, head-up instruments and DVD player to commute a few miles across San Jose. eBay is going down the "Fisher Price" design route of using lots of brightly-coloured buttons, unnecessary graphics and unnecessary features. Basically it seems like eBay is going down the pan and I hope it stops soon.
Chris
If you want to have a GOOD internet buying experience, try Amazon. I am a clumsy computer user, but their system works so well that in a few minutes you can sign off, and get e-mail from them confirming the order was successfully placed.
If e-bay is getting as bad as you folks say, it will discourage people from participating, and maybe they will wake up.
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 04:33:14 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo

Amazon? I have just recently had 2 negative experiences with their Half.com division. Two different book vendors sold a book to me and took 2 days to finally tell me "Oops, we've already sold that book." One said it was Amazon/Half's slow server updates which caused it. <sigh>

www.OnlineAuction.com is another up-and-coming competitor with max seller costs of $8.00 per month. I'll be setting up shop as a seller there as soon as time permits, but I'm already signed on as a buyer.
BTW, I took this to an OT header.
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

    Note that sometimes the problem is that the seller has put way too many images on the page -- and often large images with the HTML commands to display small after the whole thing gets downloaded.
    Unfortunately, often those who put up lots of images tend to be selling something which I am particularly interested in, and I use those images to tell whether it is in good enough condition to warrant my bidding on it. (Assuming that the bidding has not gone out of sight already. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Yep - A-numero-uno complaint from me. *WAY* too much eye-candy and javascript toys. Trying to log in over the dial-up I'm just plain stuck dealing with is a 5 minute ordeal, then it's another 5 minutes of waiting for all the bling and script crap that has to transfer from "static.ebay.com". Boy... Talk about an appropriately named machine...

Sing it, brutha...

And the amen pew sings Hallelujah! "Simple it up", eBay - The eye-candy has long since buried the content for us dial-up users. That's why I've only made three buys via eBay over the summer. (Killer deals, but trying to get the pages loaded to make them happen was consistently awful.)
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.