OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player)

This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as a present (with 30 GB of memory). It arrived and looked interesting.

It does not require any "software", to the computer it looks like a USB drive, which it is. So you just copy your movies to it for viewing.

It works fine and handles very many video formats. My wife likes movies, so, I hope, she will enjoy it.

When it booted up, it looked kind of suspiciously linux-y with nice blue colors and menus. So I did some searches and learned that it is indeed a Linux device. It runs Linux OS inside. Cowon used GPLed software, so they were obligated to release their source code. Here's something I found for a previous player.

Very interesting. Many consumer devices, for example TiVO, are also Linux based.

Ignoramus18705

Ivan - instead of an old fashioned droppng resistor, use a 3 terminal regulator to provide a nice stable 6.3 volts to the gauges - or just use a

7805 and provide 5volts - the gauges will be OK with that too.

and, you may wish to have negative ground, which is helpful for a newer radio, just remember the ammeter will read backwards

Reply to
William Noble

On another similar note. I recently put rockbox on my Sansa E250R mp3 player.

Many electronic devices are getting reflashed with user generated software.

has software to run linux on your consumer router.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Hi Wes, Thanks for that info/link. I wasn't aware of that project and it looks pretty cool. I'm most interested to see what they have done with scheduled FM radio recording.

I downloaded a few of the manuals and will have to do some research/reading now :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I looked at rockbox and was very impressed. I am not as interested in OpenWRT because most of my computers are on a LAN and not on the wifi subnet.

Ignoramus17662

My whole attraction to Rockbox was based on wanting multiple bookmarking of mp3 files. I listen to a lot of podcasts. It also fires up faster than the Sansa Software.

If you think one of your machines are compromised you can run tcpdump on the router to watch it. Lots of posibilites.

My router has two USB ports so storage for logging isn't a problem.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Wes, actually, after some thinking, I decided that it is a good idea to install a Linux based router next to the cable modem (I am on Comcast "business cable" plan 10Mb in, 2Mb out). Right now some network services, such as DHCP, private subnet translation, and NAT, are done by my home Linux server. I want to change that.

So if you can recommend some good flashable router, I will appreciate it.

Ignoramus11102

WRT54GS or one of those that Tomato will run on. Dumped OpenWRT here a while back and have been very happy with Tomato running on the GS.

Reply to
Chris