OT An unexpected response

Upon recommendation by my grief counseller (whom I like and think highly of) I called to make an appointment with another place that does this sort of thing. I spoke with an office person, not a counsellor or therapist. They do sort of an intake interview to see if they want to bother with you -- and what color is your insurance, by the way?

In passing, she asked me if there was any likelihood that I might hurt myself or another, and she warned me that she was a "mandated reporter" so if I said yes she'd have to report it.

I broke out laughing.

"Sir, what do you find funny about that?"

"Well, I'm not gonna hurt myself or anyone else who isn't trying to hurt me, but as you asked that question I was packing my range bag with half a dozen handguns and several hundred rounds of ammo, preparing to go to the range and teach a young woman to shoot."

Silence.

Then, "...wow!..."

They accepted me as a client, patient, counselee, customer, whatever. I guess they like my insurance and aren't worried about my rangebag.

I like my first grief counsellor a lot but I see why she recommended this. I like this one too. It's a considerably more structured arrangement, more clinical than friendly, offers some different perspectives. We'll see how it goes.

By the way, GeoLane, the first one is devoutly religious and does her work thru at and thru a Church rather than as a paid professional. We were introduced by a good friend of Mary's (and mine) that attends the same Church and lives two blocks from her.

As such, she can be a friend and I think we have already become friends. Don't misunderstand, please, she's very happily married. A professional cannot be a friend. Sometimes a friend can do good that an arms'length professional can't accomplish.

She is a wonderful example of someone living her faith. She knows I am not faithful but am respectful of those who are and that's OK with her. I don't disbelieve. When she wants to pray for me, I thank her for doing it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Perhaps she would like to learn a little more about fire arms and sees you, as do a lot of people, as a person well qualified to pass on an immense store of knowledge.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller