OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

--snip--

You might not be saying that when the Big One hits you Californicators, Winnie.

That said, I'm on the wrong side of the San Andreas if Murphy is right. When the Big One hits, everything on the east side of the fault will fall into the Atlantic.

I'd go with "neither" rather than one or the other.

Yeah, so far...

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, Don. I could use a new roof, which is the upside. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks, TMT. Don't worry about us hanging around if it looks really bad. We're too high to worry about storm surge, and I can handle the rain. But if the sustained wind is going to be over 70 mph, we're gone.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

A little better info, Ed.

Richard

Grab plenty of cash while you can. When the power goes out the ATMs won't work!

Reply to
Richard

Yeah, thanks, Richard. I'm watching NOAA hourly and the NOAA channels are all tuned in on my battery-powered scanner.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Excellent tip.

We have only one way out of the path -- westward. If the eye runs up central NJ, we're screwed if we don't get out early.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

In all honesty, I'm preparing to ride it out in farmland, NJ... But I'm also planning on going out with the little "semi-disposable" dual-sport motorcycle if it's not all that bad so I can get a shot of my crazy arse on the news feeds...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Gee, Joe, will they get a shot of you as a stop sign flying by at 70 mph tries to decapitate you?

Good luck. You'll need it more than most. I could say something here about the "for sale" sign that went through our neighbor's window during Hurricane Hazel (probably before your time), but it wouldn't be appropriate...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No, I'm about 1000 feet from the bay and maybe 10 or 15 feet elevation...... Some of my fellow kiteboarders are planning on going out when the wind is "only" 40 or 50.

Reply to
ATP

I'm more worried about flying tree branches... I'm in farm country where about the only thing that typically blows from anywhere is the smell of manure.

...Then again, I probably won't have any news crews running around then either.

For the beach / shore areas and flood areas or anywhere with items or trees likely to suffer wind damage, this might be a real storm. Otherwise, it's more media hype I think. I'm far enough inland that I doubt I'll get anything other than wicked wind and heavy rain.

If I'm still around Monday, I'll report back on the damage we sustain in my town, 8 miles from the PA border here in NJ.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113

01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site:
/ Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I always follow this tip, helps with surplus dealings, as well.

Ignoramus20446

Nah, let the milk spoil and sell it as yogurt.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not true. The San Andreas, even as long as it is, is only a sliding fault. There's no significant subduction going on at all.

But in 100,000[0] years or so, LAX will be the new SFO. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

[0] I just made this number up - I really have no idea how fast the plates are moving. But boy, when San Andreas lets go, I bet a lot of LA skyscrapers are going down!
Reply to
Rich Grise

Aack. Youze guys are always doing crazy stuff like that. When I was 21, we used to wait for the nor'easters to go surfing at Wildwood. It turned Wildwood into something like the North Shore at Oahu.

Surfing in November is a beach, though. I gave that stuff up about 100 years ago.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yeah, check in -- if you're within sight of land. I'm planning to do the same.

NOAA was saying a few hours ago that my area (six miles west of Raritan Bay) is in the 80%-likelihood zone for sustained hurricane-force winds.

There goes the bluefishing -- unless you catch them with a butterfly net as they sail by.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Done

Taking them for a fill, but the only things I can run with them are my leaf blower and lawn mower. d8-)

I doubt if anyone has a generator within a mile of here. But it's a good thought.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

40 pounds of striped bass and bluefish...
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Well, I'm not going out, about 35 mph is tops for me. I have to try the paddleboard in the surf sometime, though. My area is now under a mandatory evacuation order starting tomorrow morning.

THIS SURGE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE...DESTRUCTIVE...AND LIFE THREATENING WAVES.Somebody will be catching some waves..

Reply to
ATP

Wow, are you down in Cape May County? Or has it been extended up the coast?

'Hope they get out in time. Surfing on the wild side is fun, particularly here on the East Coast where we have to grab our opportunities, but someone is likely to die. It's just the way it works.

Reply to
Ed Huntress