OT Caterpillar Forklift engine question?

Sorry this is a little off topic, but i saw another forklift thread on here. I have a Caterpillar LP Forklift, and have just recently started having problems with it. It will be hard to start, crank and start and die right away. eventually it will run. I just had it running for about 10 minutes and it would backfire occassionally and then it dies once it warms up. then you can crank and crank it but it won't start.

I switched out the LP tanks but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Reply to
blocartiststudios

Vaporizer?

Reply to
clutch

Check to see if mud daubers have plugged the vent hole in the regulator. (no kidding) This hole vents the back side of the diaphram.

Reply to
Steve Peterson

This is often a symtem of a bad ignition coil. If this is an older machine, I'd also make sure the whole ignition system is like new. (plugs, wires, points, distrubutor rotor and cap) Its amazing how many problems this will solve.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"blocartiststudios" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Make sure you don't have a vacuum leak going to the regulator.

Reply to
Anthony

Is the regulator freezing up by any chance? If so then you may have a cooling system problem.

You should have approx 1-1.5 lb's lp pressure at the carb under normal conditions. There is a test port on the regulator to check this.

Reply to
jjbell

Hi Josh,

Now's the time to bring out your timing light and determine if you have a properly timed spark when the engine refuses to run. If so, start looking at the fuel delivery system. If not, you should see if the ignitor (or points) is in good shape and have the coil tested. Had a tune up lately? Maybe you just need plugs, points, condensor, rotor, rotor cap.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston