OT: Computer Prob-Tapping the Knowledge Base

Memory usage problem...LONG..... System: MSI 6330 board Athalon 950

1.5G ram 40G HD WIN ME 90% resources free 28GB HD free Run Adaware,Defrag and ScanDisk regularly

When trying to install MSC Catalog, continually get WIN32 dialog: "Insufficient memory to run this program..."and the install stalls. The 'puter boots normally and all programs launch and run fine. BIOS shows all ram present. Even memory intensive stuff like loading 1 meg JPGs snap normally. MSC disc installed normally in 2 min on a virtually identical 'puter. On this one, took 30 min and of course the program wouldn't work. The CD drive crawled, and the unzip was running at about 1 file per sec. I ran a dynamic Ram test program-passed. It seems ME doesn't use the full ram, or is page swapping in small frames. All the other programs seem to use memory OK. I ran Memory Washer, and it showed 1.3 gigs Ram free. But the graph showed 100% memory usage. When I set it to free up the unused ram, the usage graph dropped, then immediately pegged again. In System, if I check manual virtual memory box and set the values, as soon as I close the dialog the box it is unchecked when re-opened. This memory problem just recently appeared.

I'm stumped...what am I missing? I don't need to be told "it's Windoze, idiot" JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
jasonrnorth

besides that I dunno, have you checked for spyware? it doesn't always show up on the memory usage thingy

pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

jasonrnorth wrote in news:joudnYulbL7EG_PfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com:

ME is probably your biggest problem. Worst OS M$ ever released, and full of bugs/problems.

That said, however, have you ran HijackThis? It is much more capable of digging out hidden stuff running than any other program. WARNING: You can seriously screw up your computer if you delete the wrong thing with HijackThis. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DELETING BEFORE YOU DELETE!!!!

HijackThis is not a program for the uninformed, or unknowing. It will allow YOU to ROYALY screw up your system----You have been warned.

What do you have running in the background?....SOMETHING is eating ram...and therefore running.

Reply to
Anthony

Get rid of ME. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. End program. Full stop. Endit. Down.;

If Bill Gates was ever convicted of a capital crime..it would be for releasing ME. A couple million ex users would be happy to volunteer for the firing squad.

Load XP Pro, both service packs, all the updates and try it again. I believe you will be MUCH happier.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Might be the disk 'memory' - the virtual cache is filling.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

As stupid as it may sound you actually have TOO MUCH RAM, reduce your installed RAM to 512 Mb or less and then install your software. Re-install the RAM if you want, but ME isn't using it. All should be well after that. The better answer is as previously mentioned just put in XP.

t-guy

Reply to
Terry

DISAGREE!!! I have 5 systems running ME here and they do extremely well and have for many years, they are not capable of running XPP...too old and slow. I agree that XPP is the way to go and the system in question will run XPP well. ME with all the updates and not a bunch of crap running in the background is a satisfactory OS for most office applications.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

But 98SE with all the patches is more stable and more compatible. ME is an abortion - neither fish nor fowl. Billy Boy knows why its life was cut very short.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Granted, but ME's built-in driver base was better. I could get it up and running faster with fewer disk swaps.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
JR North

I solved the memory stall by running MSCONFIG and disabling WIN.INI and using selective start-up. The MSC catalog installed normally in less than 2 minutes. Buoyed by this success, I tried to install my Soundblaster Live! program for my audio card. completely pooched the puter; had to run Restore and uninstall the program. Still pooched. Could not complete boot, with 'Out Of Memory' dialogs.I downloaded MemMonster4 memory manager. Best thing since graham crackers. Has many dialogs for tweaking, and after setting it to launch with Windoze, booted 2x faster than before and flawlessly. Isn't there a patch that allows ME to utilize more than 512MB ram? I have all the updates installed. Someone must have written one. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

And todays patch of my new XP computer in the shop - was a modem patch - but turned on a firewall that can't be found to be shut off.

Constant problems with them.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Noted.

Ill mention that a guy in Cleveland has 5 systems up and running ME well, when the Saturday parade of locals bring their systems by for repair.

Ill bet there were even a couple systems in Redmond running ME at one time also.

Count your blessings. And when, not if..but when one takes a shit, install Win98SE with the upgrades.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

The other responses have probably already answered this but: Me, 98, and 95 cannot handle over 512MB of memory. If you have more than 512MB of memory installed on your computer, then it will cause the system to become unstable. There is a way to disable this via software but you are better off simply removing the memory chips from the system, since the software fix damages other system resources. There is no patch for this. The older versions of Windows were not designed to take advantage of memory in that range. At the time, the only computers that had that much memory would have been running NT4.0 then 2k.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises