OT Computer Question

Hi All; Has anyone found an adapter that will connect a PCMCIA Hard Drive (type II) to a USB port?

Thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack Hayes

Try

Perry Murlless

Are you trying to connect one of those hard drives that is normally inserted in a Type II slot, but wnat to connect to a USB port?

or

You have computer with a Type II slot and need a USB port?

Reply to
reply

What I need to do is read from a PCMCIA drive to USB on a desk top. Can both type II and III drives be read by the same device?

J Hayes

Reply to
Jack Hayes

Checki the spec for some of the card readers (Sandisk, Lexar, etc..) and see if they support your PCMCIA drive.

Reply to
reply

According to Jack Hayes :

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Hmm ... do you have any slots left on the computer? Any drive bays still empty? There are available PCI cards which connect to a dual PCMCIA socket in a drive bay. These will take Type-I and Type-II in either slot, and Type-III only in the bottom slot with nothing in the top slot. (I'm presuming that you have a Windows machine.)

There are also some which do the same, but which have a SCSI interface, which is what I am using in my Sun Ultra(SPARC)-2. And in that, I use adaptors from PCMCIA to CF (Compact Flash) to read images from my Nikon D70 camera. And yes -- it can read the PCMCIA hard drives as well, as I use those in an older camera which doesn't understand CF cards.

You can find both types of adaptors on eBay.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Frys, in California, sell them, for about $25 or so. Ebay sells them also for about $15 and up

Here is a single example

btw, many..not all..but many of the Combo Readers..read memory sticks etc etc..also read PCMCIA cards.

Gunner

Gunner Asch