OT Council please

The dishwasher and I broke a 3 cornered plug out of a porcelain dinner plate. I "stuck" it back together with Dap Weldwood brand contact cement. The label reads, "Ingredients per the New Jersey Right to Know Act: Petroleum Naptha 64742-89-8. Acetone 67-64-1. Toluene 108-88-3. Hexane

110-54-3 and TSRN 618608-5001P."

Can someone please advise is this compound "food safe" after curing?

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Bob, the warnings are for the solvent package. The basic 'glue' in there is latex.

Latex isn't particularly toxic, even when ingested, unless you happen to be allergic to it. However, it's not a suitable glue for anything that'll get hot, wet often, or both, and it tends to degrade in contact with strong alkalis like dishwashing detergent.

You'd probably be better off to soak out that repair with more toluene, clean it up spic-n-span, and epoxy the part back in with a white pigmented epoxy. You didn't do yourself any favors by 'plugging' the pores in the porcelain with that glue; it'll be very hard to get it clean enough to make a proper bond.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanx Lloyd! Alas, I suppose the the 12th guest at one of our lavish dinner parties will have to eat out of "everyday" china.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to
RoyJ

No, they won't - order one matching plate, and the set is complete again...

You can keep the one that you repaired for display purposes, let Klutzy Aunt Edith use it next Christmas. Or if you want to 'punk' someone, let that be the plate you smash into the fireplace in bazillion pieces in a mock tantrum. (With a video camera rolling to get the reaction.) ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanx for the link Bruce. It turns out my wife is already ahead of us. SWMBO is splotting to buy several plates. I'm pretty sure the link you gave is the one she uses. I guess I'll have to smash it again; not really happy with those residual cancinogens, don't you know. Hmmmnnn, wonder if the cats would notice?. Just kidding.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

You broke it, you fixed it (incorrectly)... You get to eat off of it ;-)

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:08:14 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Robert Swinney" quickly quoth:

That's why I have no china or stoneware, just plastic plates. Everyone is equally offended. (But I don't have to put up with the shrieks of forks on glass. To me, that sound is akin to fingernails chattering on a blackboard.)

------------------------------ Gator: The other white meat! ------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Feh. If someone wants to get offended by my dinnerware, they are welcome to leave.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

While Ive a decent set or 3 of various high end bone china etc ( remember..I AM a scrounger)..paper plates are the order of the day most of the time.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Jeez, what are you saving them for? So what if you break one or a few? Do you really think that they're going to be heirlooms? Your kids probably already have their own and won't want yours. Use 'em up, I do. I like having nice plates.

Bob 'Course Gunner's using paper plates means no washing, so I guess he gets an exemption 8-)

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 20:11:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

My neighbor and I both swear by paper plates, too. They're biodegradable and save groundwater. ;) I save the nice stuff (plastic plates) for company and family.

longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques