OT Day 25

I'm flyin' solo tonight, for the first time since Mary died on 19 March and what I thought was my disfunctional non-nuclear extended family slammed around me like BB's to a supermagnet.

I left daughter Karen at the airport about 8:30 PM after we'd joined Kevin for dinner at a pizza place near his house. He rode his bike so he could have a couple of beers with his pizza. I'm doin' OK tonight. Karen introduced me to a different acupuncture place today. I liked the place today MUCH better. The guy yesterday is a Dr. of something (probably O.M), has a bunch of creds and clients/patients/suckers I know from my neighborhood. But they did their puncturing in isolation (private room) with me flat on my back. Man, I hate that!

The community place that Karen discovered or knew about is in NE Mnpls about a block from the old Grain Belt Brewery, upstairs in a building built in the '20's and later renovated. Nordeast is an old neighborhood, originally populated mostly by immigrants from Eastern Europe. It's had its ups and downs but it has never gone into decay. At present it is trendy, has an active arts community. There are many bars and many churches. Crime is low and the gangs live and operate mostly elsewhere.

This acupuncture place is very much part of the neighborhood and community.
It felt completely different than the one in Fridley. It is done in a group setting with 4 or 5 recliners in a room. The first guy felt competent and confident but distant, cool, brusque and clinical. The second place mentioned something about "healing energy" in a group, which sounded to me like floobydust and bullshit, but I must say it felt much better. I felt like Deborah brought empathy to me and to her work. I also felt that during Mary's visits to and care at Mayo. Chemo at Mayo is done in very similar group settings, with patient repositories that are much more like recliners than hospital beds, and the professionals throughout Mayo were incredibly warm, caring and compassionate. Compassion is in their mission statement. Deborah said that I shouldn't expect instant success as sometimes happens with physical pains etc. It might take several sessions before I notice improvement, but she was quite sure she could help me. The complaint I stated in my questionaire was "grief-induced anxiety". I asked how I'd know if any improvement I noted was due to acupuncture vs just time passing and healing that would have occurred anyway. She said when I start to become satisfied with my progress I could reduce the frequency of my acupuncture visits until I'm no longer satisfied with my progress or feel like I'm regressing.

Regression setbacks are normal and to be expected in the grief process but I still found her answer satisfactory.

She recommended twice a week for a couple of weeks and then I might want to reduce frequency and see how that works for me. Oy kin do thet. I'm willing to give this a fair trial. It does seem to work for others. If it's placebo effect, I'll take it. Who knows, in a month I may be as tough as the redoubtable Hong Kong Phooey.

Now I'm wondering what to do with that black jug of fermented gawd-knows-whut that Karen left in my downstairs fridge.

The housekeeper Mary hired will be here tomorrow for a coupla hours on her biweekly visit. I want to retain her because Mary found her work quite satisfactory. When she's gone, I think I'll mosey up to Anoka to renew my carry permit at the sheriff's office. Thence to St. Paul to join shooting buds Todd 'n Laura for dinner.

The chemolawn guy rang my doorbell this morning. He started his usual sales pitch to sell me more than I want by asking about Mary. Without being unduly harsh, I told him somewhat tersely.

That shut him right up. He even teared up a bit and offered me a hug. People liked Mary.

He said he'd spread extra heavy on the fert and pre-emergent crabgrass stuff because there was an area in the front yard that could use some raking. There's a maple tree of amazing endurance, won't shed her leaves until there's snow on the ground.

I asked if he knew of a service that could take care of that for me. He didn't but he'd ask around.

A few minutes later, I was schlepping down the driveway en route for my 3 miles when I tumbled that my 3 miles is merely aerobic exercise that could be equally benefical and perhaps more productive if done with a rake. I purely hate raking leaves, always have, but I could spend my hour raking as well as walking. So I did. Karen came out and joined me, after her morning run. We got the job done in exactly an hour, my allocated time for aerobic exercise. Raking was somewhat more aerobic than my walks because Karen is an athlete, but I surived it and probably benefitted from the stretch.

Life lurches on.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks for sharing, Don.

I've always thought acupunture was BS. Glad to see a real scientist doing the evaluation.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The oak tree in my front yard is like that. When all of the other trees have dropped their leaves and the city is doing leaf pickup, that is when it just starts to turn the leaves brown. It doesn't drop them until a month or so later.

On the flip side, in the springtime it is late in developing its new foliage, but it is a rather vigorous tree which has survived 16 years thus far, so there must be a method to its madness.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Oaks are also more susceptible of being hit by lightnings. To see how it happened in our yard, click here:

Ignoramus10266

That noise must have scared the crap out of you!

When are you having it taken down? You can probably get a premium price for the wood from Native Americans, other occultists, and possibly some fine furniture makers. Talk to them before cutting.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I forgot one tidbit: Oaks are also one of the first trees to take dives into homes. They tend to hollow out in the center and continue to look healthy, but they're severely weakened. One good storm will send them tumbling.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, there's "solo," and there's "solo." I'm still here, caring and following, but don't have much to contribute, other than I care. I'm the kind of half-ass recovered alcoholic that can quote platitudes, like, "You're not going to pack a year of healing into one day," and shit like that.

Frankly, if I had to pick between the actual physical people I know and that great amorphous "USENET" stuff, I'd pick USENET. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Raking is way more aerobic, quite often anaerobic. I believe you got a real workout. This is based on my annual raking of pine needles, oak leaves and pine tree branches from the windstorms.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Roger that! I've had incredible support from what I regarded as my non-nuclear dysfunctional family. I'm far from alone. I have sons here in town, good friends and good neighbors.

Fuggedabout poor, poor pitiful me, that ain't happenin'. I'm having a tough low crawl up a sharp rockpile but I'm far from alone. My "solo" is a night and a day with nobody else in my house. Been there done that many times when Mar was on overseas travel and since 7 Feb in the rehab, but it has seemed very different since she died and I could no longer see her face, help her get ready for bed and hold her hand until she went to sleep each day.

Reply to
Don Foreman