OT - Diesel Fuel Filter Question

Am about to replace the fuel filter on my 02 VW Golf TDI (diesel).

Dealership wants $66Cdn but can get one at local aftermarket shop for $18 ("NAPA" brand made by Wix). I don't want to waste money but OTOH don't want to play Russian roulette with my fuel pump and injectors.

Which one should I buy??

TIA for any assistance...........

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nospam (Laurie Forbes) wrote in news:40380f35.2555439 @news.spots.ab.ca:

Hello

Well I have a GMC Truck 6.5 diesel and I use after market filters all the time. Never had a problem. I think they are all made probably at the same place, The packing and price sure aren't.

Take care

Antoine

Reply to
Pepe Tigre

I've been using Napa brand filters in my F-350 diesel for 11 yrs... no problems, so save your money.

Enjoy

Reply to
AndrewV

Laurie- Just make sure you fill it up with diesel and/or Power Service additive and check that the recirculator valve o-ring is OK, or replaced. Other TDI drivers are using the NAPA filters with good results, although the Gold line is recommended over the cheaper Silver line. I buy a lot of TDI parts from Impex. They have the Bosch filters for $27.00.

If you aren't there already, look at the boards at

all things TDI related.Here is a thread about the NAPA filters:

Al (My 2000 Jetta TDI averages 50 mpg...in winter...at 75 mph. Lets see the hybrids do that!)

Reply to
Alan Raisanen

Hello Alan:

Thanks for the info - I've been on the TDI forum (NoSmoke) for quite a while but missed the thread you give below. The NAPA (Gold) filters sound OK from what the thread suggests so I guess that's what I will go with. I'm in Canada and I don't believe (could be wrong) that Impex sells from here so I'll probably just buy a NAPA filter locally.

I've also been mulling over going with the Cat 2 filter but have not yet seen any definitive evidence it results in better performance in a TDI so will probably pass at least for now.

Indeed.

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

It probably doesn't make any difference which one you buy but how you install it can make a BIG difference. When you put on the new filter make sure you lubricate the O-Ring outer seal properly. Fill the new filter as full as possible with clean fuel and follow manual instructions for bleeding the system.

DL

Reply to
Gunluvver2

Big deal...my '79 diesel Rabbit gets 60 mpg at that speed. Plus, it has the 10 gal aux fuel tank. Cost me $200 to buy with a ring-seized engine in '86. How much did your TDI cost? JR Dweller in the cellar No fair pointing out your TDI will blow me away. But, I'll match my '84 Jetta TD against it...:)

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

What would you suggest for lube - just a little engine oil or lube grease?

I believe as long as the filter is filled, bleeding is not required (at least on my engine type).

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

I think either would be fine as long as it was clean and you didn't use too much. Dennis

Reply to
Gunluvver2

Hehheh... one of my ultralight buddies has one of those older Rabbits too. Great cars that seem to keep going forever. It's hard to find these diesels in NY state though, so I got the Jetta when the opportunity presented itself.

Do you have to clean all the coke out of the Rabbit intake manifolds on a regular basis? Just did mine at 120K. Ick.

Reply to
Alan Raisanen

Reply to
JR North