OT Document download services - scam?

I am interested in downloading a text book instead of buying it. Having been unemployed for 7 of the past 12 months and just back to work, money is tight and buying the book will set me back $97+$4 shipping (for a used text book). THere are several download sites that list it. These sites charge a fee - appears to be a monthly fee

- I just need a one time download (atleast until next semester). Names of some of the sites are: Downloadcave.com, Downtr.com, Rapidog.com, Prime-download.com. Is this kind of like joining a book or "record" (CD) club where once joined it is difficult to unjoin without cancelling a credit card? Advice/experiences solicited. TIA

Reply to
aribert

Downloadcave.com, Prime-download.com, and downtr.net are blatantly advertising copyrighted material to illegally download, so it is highly likely they are complete scams. Rapidog is just an different interface to rapidshare which is like a lot of peer-to-peer file swapping services, but several of these are free so you might look into those. Keep in mind anything you download from a file swapping service could be a virus. Also keep in mind that these services by default usually make a portion of your hard drive searchable by every one else including the RIAA who likes to sue people.

Reply to
anorton

Most download sites are outright scams, they do not have the content that thy advertise as available. They just want you to sign up.

Ignoramus11457

What is the book name?

Im fairly good at finding books on the internet...ahum...

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Reply to
aribert

Saved.

Ill see what I can find....

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Scam.

Buy a used copy from Canada.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Thanks Kevin. The one you linked to has a *different* ISBN number (same: title, author, publisher & year published);

I bought it anyway even though it is not scheduled to arrive for 2 to 3 wks - class starts next week.

Reply to
aribert

The Canadian publisher assigned the ISBN number.

ISBN numbers are to identify the printing batch of a book. There are times when you will find several identical new copies of a book store with different ISBN numbers and different prices.

Reply to
Usual suspect

Thanks for the information - I thought that an ISBN was unique to an edition of a book - sort of like a fingerprint on a person.

That said. I received a message back from the book's seller that he was out of town and refunding my money. I have sent him a followup message asking when he might be back in town to resell/ship but I am guessing that he decided that his price was too low and needed an excuse to not sell it. Back to the search.

Reply to
aribert