OT - easy to use virus program

I've noticed you chaps know a lot about good programs. I've been using norton antivirus 2002 and the subscription just ran out. Not overly happy with old nort - has a bad habit of spending 10 minutes trying to remove the virus from a piece of spam --- like I care! Allows no intervention either. so I have to sit and wait. (then it fails) Looking on the web people seem to be saying even more nasty things about norton 2004. So - any recommendations for a good program that will work happily with zone alarm and if it finds a virus will allow me to delete without a lot of fun and games.

Thanks John

-- remove nospm and change home to farm for my e-mail address. just trying to keep the silly spam down.

Reply to
JohnB

I've been pleased with AVG. See

As I remember it is a program written in Europe by a company who wants to expand their market into the US. Part of their marketing strategy is to provide this antivirus program free. It appears to do everything that I want. Don't know if it will work with Zone Alarm. and the price is right.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Jones

It is very easy to keep Norton from checking your email automatically. Turning it off is also only a couple of clicks away. I've been using it for years..

Reply to
Jim K

You might find something interesting here.

This was also discussed on Tech TV today on one of Leo Laporte's shows, I just don't the name. They discussed a free one. It was the one he does with Patrick Norton. Try the Tech TV WEB site.

If SystemWorks 2003 install is any indication Norton has PROBLEMS.

Reply to
keith bowers

Use this URL for AVG, the one in my original note doesn't seem to work anymore.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Jones

AVG is what I use. And its free with regular updates (and automatically done also if you so choose)

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

I "upgraded" to 2004 from 2002. I have nothing good to say about the experience. They wanted to charge me to debug their software. I explained the problems, gave them the error message text and #, got put on hold for 10 minuets, the tech came back and said all they could do is give me a refund. "It's a known issue, we can't fix it" he said. Kent "JohnB" wrote

Reply to
Kent Frazier

I dumped Norton when they started charging for virus definition updates (more greedy bustards). Try AntiVir a free-ware program available at:

or look at webattack.com for it.

Auto updates, easy to setup and use, free, low-resource use, and best of all- free.

/disclaimer- not affiliated with AntiVir, just another user pleased with a product that does EXACTLY what it claims to do /end disclaimer

vic

Reply to
Victor Radin