OT: Economic uptick?

I'm running enough overtime that I have to hire some more people. A number of my customers have run their inventory levels low because of fear and pressure from their stupid bean counters. As a result I'm under the pressure of short and non-existent lead times. I don't have enough floor space to stock huge inventories and these products are very bulky, they go into the mid-level restaurants like "Applebee's". These restaurants haven't seemed to take much of an economic hit and seem to be increasing. But the end users are using the products far beyond the service life and I've seen a few items returned for warrantee that were totally spent. (nice try!)

On the other hand, my products that feed into industrial and mill supply are slow but moving in fits and starts. Good thing they are a small part of my business, that market is flooded with cheap imports anyway.

Anyway, I have a stack of applications for a few jobs available and I'm happy to put some more money into my community.

Reply to
Buerste

My employer has rehired a few people that were let go. Things seem to be picking up for us in the segment of heavy truck I work in.

I *hope* I get this weekend off, I worked the previous three.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

My little roadside fruit market business is doing quite well this fall. Seems like a normal season. We've hired the normal number of seasonal employees. All top notch people this year. So far (nock on wood) no serious equipment breakdowns.

My son's job for a major industrial equipment supplier has increased business sharply for quarter four.

Its a shame my wife no longer has a job in the supply chain for office supplies. This little business niche has my vote as a leading indicator of the economy.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I do design work, which is generally an easy thing to cut during a recession because you don't see the consequences for a few years. I haven't seen a slow down at all from my established customers, although I'm getting fewer calls from the little guys.

So I think everyone big assumes it'll blow over and the party will start up again soon, while the little guys have no money and unemployed friends who can do what I do, poorly, in 10x the time and on the cheap. Presumably this means that _next_ year they'll be calling on me to fix what they're designing now.

Or civilization will end, and it won't matter.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Why not hit up a temp agency to run extra production and add a couple regional warehouses. Maybe one in the Eastern U.S. and one in the Mid West?

Stock them and let those act as a buffer system. Then run with a bit of breathing room instead of the JIT system you have. LOT's of empty warehouse and building space around. Shipping via UPS, postal, bus, rail all available as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Which heavy truck segment? Mine trucks or OTR stuff?

Reply to
Steve W.

It has always amazed me how much money people will spend to get something cheap.

Reply to
Buerste

We find temps to be unacceptable. I AM thinking of renting a few truck trailers or shipping containers. It's not enough to justify a more expense. I just thank God every day that I'm still operating. A lot of manufacturers in my industry are hurting, the industrial market is terrible.

Reply to
Buerste

otr

Reply to