OT: Eyeglass repair

I finally figured out that the nose bridge pads on my eyeglasses have a very short lifetime and will part company with the frames within about

4 months. Strangely, I'm a really sedentary guy and only hop around on the roof or crawl around behind the foundation vents on rare occasion.

I found an eBay vendor,

..who sells replacement pads for nearly no money.

I have four sets on order.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I just ran out of replacement pads from old glasses. I ended up building a pad up with my hot glue gun. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I just ran out of replacement pads from old glasses. I ended up building a pad up with my hot glue gun. Karl

Thats way to high tech Karl, I stripped a bit of insulation from some old mains flex wire an pushed that onto the mount. Works well but looks a bit silly.

Reply to
Dennis

Wally World sells pads for $1.97 a pair, but the last time I was in there perusing repair parts, the manager cleaned my glasses for me (free) and gave me a free pair of pads. I thought that was just great. Do NOT buy the adhesive type used on plastic glasses. The oil of your skin eats the adhesive and they slide off, leaving a nastyass residue which has to be painstakingly removed. DAMHIKT.

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are those the soft ones?

The last prescription glasses I bought came with soft ones. Hated them and they only lasted for maybe a year. Went back to where I got them and when the lady was in the process of replacing them I mentioned how much I disliked the soft pads. She said, "Oh, most people prefer those but we can get hard ones if you like". So I had the hard style put on and that was ~15 years ago... The soft ones annoyed my nose something fierce.

Personally I think _they_ like the soft ones because it keeps you coming back to get them replaced on a _very_ regular basis.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Yup. Just one piece of silicone each. Very cheap.

I just returned from a trip to my local eyeglass repair place. Scored two pair of the hard plastic type with the *metal* post. The toll was steep at 10 dollarettes per pair, but it means I can put two pair of glasses back in service.

'Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Did you ever consider washing your face? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well I hope the hard style works for you. The soft ones kind of "stuck" to my nose. My glasses are really heavy and if they don't slide around a little the skin on my nose becomes quite painful. I know, sounds a bit counter intuitive but that was my experience with the soft style...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

They always did. I've salvaged them off of older pairs of glasses to replace the nasty 'pure silicone' pads.

I grok completely. I cannot get glasses with glass lens' anymore. The bad news is the decreased protection from TIG UV (inside the approved hood). The good news is that the light-weight plastic lens' don't bear down painfully on my nose as my older glasses sometimes did.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D

I'm a high tech kinda guy and it happened the hot glue gun was just sitting there. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Susan Rice

It was their 3 pack for $9.95 readers. I can't spend two dollars on three dollar glasses. But good to know when I graduate to more expensive glasses. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I know. That kind of thing really irks me, too. 'Course, I'm cheap.

Buy an OKI printer and the replacement toner cartridge and drum will cost -more- than the entire new printer set you back, so I've always avoided OKI. OTOH, I bought a Samsung color laser printer for $200, so spending $120 for replacement toner isn't a big deal to me. But I have 3+ years on the originals so far, without any dropouts yet.

That'll be $2 for the tip. ;)

-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ask for spare pads and screws when you place your next order with zennioptical.com

Reply to
Mark F

Thanks. I'll buy some spares. The last time I went to the optometrist, his glasses fitter wanted $5 a pad to fix up my frames.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

(...)

'Turns out the 'pure silicone' pads don't last very long. I have since bought some hard plastic pads *with* metal inserts. These tend to last longer than rest of the glasses do. They ran me $5.00 per pad but they will last as long as I need them.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

My last order with them was for pure plastic frames with integral nose pads (437315). Luckily they shipped a different set of (metal) frames with the nose pad accessories attached. Four months later, the nose pads fell off.

DoH!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I never heard that one. Can anybody else confirm that a good welding helmet passes UV from a TIG?

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Man, it certainly shouldn't!!!! I have done some serious TIG welding, and also worked with Mercury short-arc lamps, and have demonstrated how QUICKLY a little UV can give you a REAL burn. I did a project a couple years ago involving some heavy TIG welding, and my el-cheapo eBay variable-shade electronic helmet caused no sign whatsoever of sunburn on the face. I do tend to hold the torch such that it mostly shades the direct view of the arc, so that I can see the weld puddle clearly.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson