OT fireplace with "pretend fire" - how do they work?

Folks,

Off topic I know, but I know someone here knows how these things work... The fireplace inserts which have the appearance of a fire going behind a piece of glass. I expect it's some form of gas discharge, but I'm hoping someone here knows and can explain it, or direct em to a URL... or even the proper name for the effect so i can google better myself.

thanks, Des

Reply to
Des Bromilow

Simpler than that for many of them. Just a drum with lights inside and the drum painted in variours colors of red and orange and a motor of some kind to turn the drum. Some of them worked on the heat from the lights to turn the drum.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May