OT Five Gallon Bucket Fly Traps

Five Gallon Bucket Fly Traps

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

So for bait he uses fermented yeast? I've been looking for bait ideas. I refit those $5 bag type traps you can buy at the hardware store with clear one gallon jugs. It works but is not all that mechanically sound when hanging in a tree. This bucket scheme looks interesting. I have have always wondered though whether the trap was really catching as many flies as it seemed or whether they were just reproducing, living, and dying inside the trap. I'd like to to be able to kill them once they enter to eliminate that possibility.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave wrote: ...

My understanding is that flies reproduce by laying their eggs on/in something that the larvae (i.e., maggots) can eat. E.g., a carcass. There would be nothing like that in the trap. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Ok, I built one. Stapling the screenwire was a bit annoying. Now I don't know what to do with it. It is so light it will be blown over in any windstorm. Also the dogs might knock it over. I guess I will strap it to a fence post. Don't know if I want to put feet on it or just hang the bottom under it on wires.

Reply to
Dave

Well that "bait" sure sounds interesting!

If you cut way back on the yeast and add more sugar you get two of the normal ingredients for homebrew.

Now just add a little flavoring and let sit for the same amount of time.

Bottle. Enjoy. :-)

OK. I missed a couple of the fine points, but...

DOC

Reply to
DOC