OT: Gieger Counters and such

I'm surprised at the low price of Geiger counters lately. Pocket models go for $200 now.

The old '60s style CD handhelds go for about $74 delivered.

A handheld Jameco Electronics -kit- goes for $38 delivered.

I guess Duke decided the cute rad hazard symbol qualified a similar essential kit should go for $199.

Any one of these would instantly settle the fears so many people have about the level of radioactivity in their environment lately. Well, at least the more sensible fears. ;)

-

There are some apparently underhanded folks out there, too. This microwave and wall wire detector (Digital LCD Electromagnetic Radiation Detector EMF Meter Dosimeter Tester New) sells for $10.67 with free shipping on eBay.

Also on eBay is this identical item for $113.43, also with free shipping. Same picture, same model, DT-1130.

I have Greenlee's 50-1000V pen version in my toolbox. They're, uh, $4.50 from China.

Here's one from the UK for only $1,662.73

Are they -proud- of that thing, or what?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like a crap fake meter.

This meter is also crap. Only reads high levels of radiation that you would be unlikely to encounter. What you need is CDV-700, a very sensitive meter that reacts even to normal background radiation. It also has an alpha detector IIRC. I have one and it is a very fun meter to own.

Ignoramus13867

I think it may only be new tech: pancake tube. Googlit.

Right, the text says it's only good for medium to high levels.

Those go for $174 right now.

Keep it around. It may be handy some day soon if the imported militants or homegrown radicals decide to nuke the USA.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Might have a solid state detector.

At those radiation levels it only predicts life expectancy in days.

Wow i got mine for $10.00 many years ago, still works. A great cold war artifact.

No alpha detector on that model, just a beta and gamma detector.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

And a pocket model back in the mid 1950s (the "El Dorado" from Sears) went for something like $30.00 or so. It was a very simple one, with a pushbutton to operate a vibrator which also had a high-voltage winding. This charged a capacitor to a voltage regulated by the Geiger tube itself. Detection did not show on a meter -- just as clicks in an earphone. It was about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Less than that at hamfests. I forget whether I paid $15.00 or $25.00 for one some time ago.

:-)

Perhaps for checking RF leakage through the door of a microwave oven? Certainly does not look like a Geiger counter or any similar device. :-)

Yep -- certainly not for radioactivity. :-)

Ouch!

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols