OT: Gieger Counters and such

I'm surprised at the low price of Geiger counters lately. Pocket models go for $200 now. http://tinyurl.com/mtr8j56 http://tinyurl.com/mw99yxb http://tinyurl.com/kbo47rn

The old '60s style CD handhelds go for about $74 delivered. http://tinyurl.com/ljtgmmj
A handheld Jameco Electronics -kit- goes for $38 delivered. http://tinyurl.com/mq39ldm I guess Duke decided the cute rad hazard symbol qualified a similar essential kit should go for $199. http://tinyurl.com/ludpdmo
Any one of these would instantly settle the fears so many people have about the level of radioactivity in their environment lately. Well, at least the more sensible fears. ;)
-
There are some apparently underhanded folks out there, too. This microwave and wall wire detector (Digital LCD Electromagnetic Radiation Detector EMF Meter Dosimeter Tester New) sells for $10.67 with free shipping on eBay. http://tinyurl.com/mamz8gk
Also on eBay is this identical item for $113.43, also with free shipping. Same picture, same model, DT-1130. http://tinyurl.com/mssmv3e
I have Greenlee's 50-1000V pen version in my toolbox. They're, uh, $4.50 from China. http://tinyurl.com/k8nadgq
Here's one from the UK for only $1,662.73 http://tinyurl.com/lkoozlk Are they -proud- of that thing, or what? <thud>
--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying

Looks like a crap fake meter.

This meter is also crap. Only reads high levels of radiation that you would be unlikely to encounter. What you need is CDV-700, a very sensitive meter that reacts even to normal background radiation. It also has an alpha detector IIRC. I have one and it is a very fun meter to own.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 07:52:23 -0600, Ignoramus13867

I think it may only be new tech: pancake tube. Googlit.

Right, the text says it's only good for medium to high levels.

Those go for $174 right now.

Keep it around. It may be handy some day soon if the imported militants or homegrown radicals decide to nuke the USA.
--
Education is that which remains when one has
forgotten everything he learned in school.

Might have a solid state detector.

At those radiation levels it only predicts life expectancy in days.

Wow i got mine for $10.00 many years ago, still works. A great cold war artifact.

No alpha detector on that model, just a beta and gamma detector.

Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

    And a pocket model back in the mid 1950s (the "El Dorado" from Sears) went for something like $30.00 or so. It was a very simple one, with a pushbutton to operate a vibrator which also had a high-voltage winding. This charged a capacitor to a voltage regulated by the Geiger tube itself. Detection did not show on a meter -- just as clicks in an earphone. It was about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

    Less than that at hamfests. I forget whether I paid $15.00 or $25.00 for one some time ago.

    :-)

    Perhaps for checking RF leakage through the door of a microwave oven? Certainly does not look like a Geiger counter or any similar device. :-)

    Yep -- certainly not for radioactivity. :-)

    Ouch!
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail