OT: Got snookered by the teevee ad

While crusin' channels one recent evening and not finding much, I tripped on a fishin' show which turned out to be an infomercial. Banjo minnows. Even Babe Winkleman endorses them. Wow! I *never* bite on those TV ads, but that one got me. It's that time of year. $19.99

+S&H, order now and... well, you know. Ah mean, dayum, that is one seductive lookin' lure and Babe Winkleman sez it shore works for him. I haven't seen Babe Winkleman on the teevee for a decade but thar he is on channel 242 endorsing them Banjo Minnows and catchin' crappies and bass and walleyes and northerns and ah don't know whutall lahk hell won't have it.

Awright, so I grabbed the phone. Right ear still works purty good. Mary was laughing at me as you might suspect. The phone number got me a computer with voice recognition. Not very good voice recognition as it turns out. I tried to order one package of banjo minnows and one pack of them big suckers with the sinker hooks and weedguard rubberbands and everthang.

Next morning I got an email telling me that I'd ordered 4 sets, and the bastards had multiplied the S&H by 4 as well. Total, $115. Uh, no! I called the toll-free number. Got a person with the world's worst headset so I had to have Mary be interloquter. The lady said they couldn't cancel the order because it had already shipped. (Yeah, right.) Mary pressed for an RMA number, we are not accepting this situation. 100% Mary was once purchasing agent for my teams, knows how to deal with vendors. She got an RMA but later I realized that they'd probably only credit me with value of returned goods and still stick me for the exorbitant S&H so what I really need to do is refuse the entire shipment and dispute the credit card charge.

Several days later I got an email that my order had shipped -- thus confirming that I'd been lied to earlier. FedEx, with a tracking number. The tracking number worked. FedEx and UPS usually just drop stuff here, don't bother with signatures. It's Minnesota where all of the children are above average, parcels are left on porches and friendly neighbors feel free to borrow some sour cream, coffee, sugar or gunpowder. I'd put a sign on the front door that we did not wish to accept FedEx shipment # 123xyz The FedEx tracking website said it was in Brooklyn Park yesterday so I figured it'd be delivered today.

About 1600 the doorbell rang. I saw a USPS truck at the curb just leaving and a parcel on the porch. USPS? Somehow USPS delivered the parcel shipped and tracked by FedEx using "smart post" whatever that is. Go figure.

I took the parcel to the post office and told them I wanted to refuse delivery, return to sender. The clerk said it wasn't FedEx if it was delivered by a USPS mail truck. I showed him the shipping label with the tracking number on it. He insisted that it was USPS. I said OK, whatever, I'd told the sender I didn't want it, I'd posted a sign on the door not to leave it that the delivery person ignored, now what. He said a USPS delivery person would have ignored the sign if it said FedEx. Arrgghhh. I managed to skip saying that the goddamned tracking number was on the goddamned sign in 16 point bold font if the d*****ad driving the truck could read. The postal clerk cheerfully accepted the parcel and tossed it into a pile behind him to be returned to sender.

I doubt that banjo minnows are fragile.

Tonight the FedEx website proudly proclaims that the parcel was delivered today. I guess that's true, wonder what it'll say tomorrow. I'll bet it won't change.

I've learned that credit card companies won't deal with disputed charges until after they've been billed. Maybe vendors don't get paid until the credit card company does, don't know how that works. Whatever.

On the couple of occasions in the past where I've disputed charges the credit card companies have been very accomodating so I'm not expecting a fight here. But times do change. If the credit card folks try to blow smoke and snowflakes, the simple bottom line is that I am not gonna pay this, not a cent of it, not ever. If they want to cancel the card, phffft. If they threaten or act to foul my credit rating I'll see if they fancy having the (liberal) MN attorney general Lori Swanson after them for predatory practice against a senior citizen who is a decorated veteran, a Finn in MN, and maybe I can contrive some hispanic lineage. Gramma Drew Foreman was a missionary in Peru, after all. Donald Sirola Silverio Martinez Mendoza...

Reply to
Don Foreman

You had me going good till this claim of being a Finnlander. Your last name is all wrong and your hair isn't blond enough. Plus you don't chew. Being part Finnlander don't count. Its like Obama claiming he's white.

I almost bought something called Greenbags once. Supposed to make fruit and vegetables keep forever, a true miracle it is.

Good story

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:38:53 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

So, has she given you the "I told you so! " thing yet?

Ayup, FedEx and USPS are in bed together 'cuz USPS can't do it all for the meager price (_What_ 2 price hikes in the last six months?) they get to deliver mail.

Don't forget that you're part Black, too, Don. That's enough to...well, to get a person elected to high office.

Gee, now you'll just have to fish like you always did. Oh, well.

G'luck.

-- I define comfort as self-acceptance. When we finally learn that self-care begins and ends with ourselves, we no longer demand sustenance and happiness from others. -- Jennifer Louden

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Karl Townsend" wrote: (clip) I almost bought something called Greenbags once. Supposed to make fruit and

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I bought 'em, and they work. Something about absorbing the ethylene gas emitted by ripening produce. Avocados last a long time, which is a real test. The thing I didn't like about that transaction is that I was dealing with a computer that was programmed to make me upgrade the order again and again. I finally had to hand up to get away from it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

It's also the wire brush season, I suggest the "Brush-of-the-Week" Club!

Reply to
Buerste

We can get our hands on the money four days after we make a charge to someone's credit card. We only make a few credit card charges a month, so we use ProPay, an online sytem that doesn't hit us with monthly charge, just $35.00 per year plus about 3% of every credit card charge we put through them. Works for us...

Upright citizen that you are Don, I'd guess you've been a good user of the credit card involved. Just edit the text in your e-mail a little and use it as your "dispute".

I hate to ask, but were you able to get some sort of receipt from the postal clerk as proof that you returned that package?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff22

Strap sez:

"Don't forget that you're part Black, too, Don. That's enough to...well, to get a person elected to high office. "

Whaaat ? Whoa ! Only black on Don might be grease and soot from his anvil chorus; ya know when on a still cold night in Lake Land you hear the ringing anvil and cries of OOooodennnn. Naw! He's a Norseman, for sure.

Bob Swinney

So, has she given you the "I told you so! " thing yet?

Ayup, FedEx and USPS are in bed together 'cuz USPS can't do it all for the meager price (_What_ 2 price hikes in the last six months?) they get to deliver mail.

Gee, now you'll just have to fish like you always did. Oh, well.

G'luck.

-- I define comfort as self-acceptance. When we finally learn that self-care begins and ends with ourselves, we no longer demand sustenance and happiness from others. -- Jennifer Louden

Reply to
Robert Swinney

What he said. The green bags work great.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Buerste sez: "It's also the wire brush season, I suggest the "Brush-of-the-Week" Club!"

Ok, Tom, that cinches it. Whydja change to "Buerst". Is there hidden meaning there, like the state of the brush biddness gone buerst?

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Just as long as it isn't like the radio-shack battery club (wire brushes with aluminum bristles anybody??)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I did not -- but nobody signed for the delivery either. They just left it on the porch.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I had to change my nom de plume as I was getting 10,000 e-mails a day from pissed-off liberals.

Buerste is German for "brush". Brushmaking is rooted in German culture and all the old brush companies and most of the new ones have roots going back to Germany and Belgium. A lot of brushmaking machines come from German engineering. As does my lineage going back at least five generations. Actually, I've been pretty lucky with the current economic situation...so far. We're a bit soft but not hurting. Plus, there's a new highway project that will go right through my plant in the next five years, so I get to move out of the ghetto! Thanks Pres.Obama!

Reply to
Buerste

Many years ago we had to make Aluminum wire brushes for working on DOD airframes. I rewrote the MIL-SPEC for the operations to use 302 Stainless Steel wire and had to prove that there was negligible contamination of the base metal and vastly improved efficiency and cost savings.

Reply to
Buerste

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 01:52:42 -0400, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

At least you were able to piss off that many, eh? 2 Points!

So is he paying for it? Moving ought to be a fun project.

-- I define comfort as self-acceptance. When we finally learn that self-care begins and ends with ourselves, we no longer demand sustenance and happiness from others. -- Jennifer Louden

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I SHOULD get some kind of prize! But, I think the e-mail bomb is the result of just one REALLY, REALLY pissed off liberal. I called my ISP and the nice guy there had a good laugh when I told him how I got bombed. He cleaned-off the backlog and cranked-up the filter. Now I'm down to maybe 100/day.

Yep, I get to move! I have to figure out how to maximize the potential pay-off. I'm sure there are lawyers that specialize in that sort of thing.

Did you get my mail about doing some webpage work for me? Look at my 8 year old page at ohiobrush.com and see what I mean.

Reply to
Buerste

Thanx, Tom

I'm glad to hear all is well in the business and that it is really you. In fact, I would have guessed because most of your Buerst posts made too much sense to be coming from the ordinary johnny-come-lately to RCM.

I SHOULD get some kind of prize! But, I think the e-mail bomb is the result of just one REALLY, REALLY pissed off liberal. I called my ISP and the nice guy there had a good laugh when I told him how I got bombed. He cleaned-off the backlog and cranked-up the filter. Now I'm down to maybe 100/day.

Yep, I get to move! I have to figure out how to maximize the potential pay-off. I'm sure there are lawyers that specialize in that sort of thing.

Did you get my mail about doing some webpage work for me? Look at my 8 year old page at ohiobrush.com and see what I mean.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hmmmnnnn . . . DOD and cost savings ? You working on oxymorons now?

Bob Sw>

Many years ago we had to make Aluminum wire brushes for working on DOD airframes. I rewrote the MIL-SPEC for the operations to use 302 Stainless Steel wire and had to prove that there was negligible contamination of the base metal and vastly improved efficiency and cost savings.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:08:47 -0400, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Mine keeps 30-50 away from me daily, and half a dozen sneak through anyway. I add 3 or 4 extra filters to Outleak daily for the repetitive bastards and just kill the singles.

No doubt.

Yes, and I responded positively. Shall I resend the missive, sir?

-- I define comfort as self-acceptance. When we finally learn that self-care begins and ends with ourselves, we no longer demand sustenance and happiness from others. -- Jennifer Louden

Reply to
Larry Jaques

SWMBO bought some about a month ago and they do seem to work to some extent. I tried putting puppy's supply of turnip ( rutabaga ) sticks in one but it didn't keep them fresh at all - they all turned black. I bought another 20 pack yesterday for a quarter, yard saleing donchaknow! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller