OT: Hey Gunner

Aside from our exchange of nastygrams, maybe you have a morsel of data I'm looking for to complete an interesting calculation.

What's the muzzle velocity of WW2 .50 caliber machine gun ball cartridges?

Reply to
John Ings

I'm not Gunner but I found some stats for you.

2900 fps:
2930 fps:
Also found that the range of the "ball" load is 7200 yards, or 4 miles!
Lane
Reply to
Lane

IRRC..its around 2800 FPS (880 m/s) . Not particularly impressive velocity wise but that 43.3 gram slug sure carried a hell of a lot of kinetic energy.

The 50 Browning is pretty much simply a 30-06 scaled up.

As to the debate..thats the fun part. I hold no animous towards you.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Bullet weights from 600- 870 grain have been loaded in this. Today the most common sporter bullet is the 750gr as it has a bit more edge in the sectional density department.. The heavier the bullet, the slower it goes.

You may find this of interest.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Something I remember from our armorer during the recent unpleasantness in S.E. Asia; the barrels of the .50 were only good for 2000 rounds. You'd get a big fireball at the muzzle when they were gone. Our ammo was a 5 round repeating string of 2 balls, 1 high explosive, 1 armor piercing and a tracer. He told me that most of it was left over from the Korean war, which I doubted as there were very few misfires.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Why? I've shot WWII ammo with no misfires. If properly stored, it keeps practically forever.

Reply to
James B. Millard

It just seemed stange that it would be that old and I doubted he was right. I'm certainly no expert, though, and I'll take your word for it. Very few misfires, as I remember it, though.

Garrett

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

It could well have been left over Korean stuff. Ammunition, well made and well stored has a shelf life of well over 100 yrs. I fired some

3006 ammo that was manufactured in 1918 a month or so ago. Shot fine with no flyers or duds. Other than a slightly different odor, it was indistinguishable from new made.

Gunner, who ate Cs that were left over from Korea in 1971. Not a treat.....blaggg..

Reply to
Gunner

Skipping school, I decide to respond to what Gunner fosted Mon, 17 May 2004 20:27:54 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

In 1972, as part of a youth group "humanitarian" project, I helped sort through a couple tons of "expired" C rats. Seems that one of the components had failed inspection, so we were tossing them and sending the rest to the Protestant Orphanage downtown in Madrid. Managed to snag a lot of those fivepacks of cigs, P38s, and I still have a pound cake in my footlocker in storage. Lessees, those C-Rats were five/ten years old then, so ... I'm afraid to look. :-)

tschus pyotr

"Its alive! It's A-live!"

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Got any formulas for calculating the rate of fall-off of velocity?

I took your on-line attitude test. We're in different quadrants and a long way apart. I've given up on the debate because I'm out of ammo. When the two sides start denying each-other's stats, it becomes a research project I haven't time for. Unfortunately the voting public hasn't either.

Reply to
John Ings

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote --

He believes John Lott. He is still "in error".

As are you. When are you going to deal with your false claims about crime in the UK?

Reply to
Carl Nisarel

Again, I can't resist...

The formula involves non-linear differential equations. There are some approximations, but it's just as easy to do the integration to get a table. The hard part is knowing the drag coefficient of the projectile (and other various models like ballistics coefficients, etc).

I've got a number of programs for calculating such things and you can even do it online (see URL below).

Brad

Reply to
James B. Millard

here is a articles on the subject. You will need to know the sectional density and ballistics coefficent of the particular projectile in your calcs, along with barometic pressure, and temperture.

And one on Terminal Ballistics (another can of worms)
Here are some free or online ballistics programs that may help you.
(dos)
( I use overlays taped to my stock on my long range rifles

Of course we have differences. Im right and your wrong. . Im a gun owner living in the US and you are a subject of the Crown. Of course there are differences...chuckle..but I dont hold them against you. Its not your fault you were born with such a handicap...chuckle.

But seriously... But do try to keep an open mind. Much of what you think you know on the subject is deeply flawed and depends more on emotional content than reality or the law. Larry J (as an example) started out much as you have, and by keeping an open mind, discovered he too was in error. Many folks have and they tend to get pissed when they find out they have been lied to for all these years, or have labored under false impressions.

Respects and regards

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Way cool! Nice! Bookmarked!

Out of curiosity..is Greenhills formula flawed or did you develop a better method?

Thanks

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Sigh.. here we go again....

As I pointed out in a previous link..British crime rates were rising, so the Government decided to change the methodology and voila..they are suddenly static or falling very slightly. Under reporting and changing the rules makes them look good, while not addressing the rising crime rates. Politicians hate bad press. Shrug

Your failure on this subject is historical and again noted.

gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote --

You mean, here you lie again.

They weren't. The material you cited is out-of-date and cannot refute something that was published more recently.

This is the second edition of ?Crime in England and Wales' bringing together statistics from the British Crime Survey (BCS) and the numbers of crimes recorded by the police. It provides a comprehensive account of the latest patterns and trends in the main high volume crimes.

The main points in this 2002/03 edition are:

? Crimes against adults in England and Wales decreased by two per cent in 2002/03, according to the British Crime Survey.

? There has been a 25 per cent fall in crime measured by the BCS in the five years between 1997 and 2002/03.

? Crimes recorded by the police decreased by three per cent in 2002/03, after taking into account the impact of the National Crime Recording Standard (NCRS) on recording practices.

? Police recording of those crimes reported to them is now at an historic high of 70 per cent, according to the BCS.

? The risk of becoming a victim of crime remains at an historic low (around 27%) according to the BCS, one-third lower than the risk in 1995 (40%).

so the Government decided to change the

Reply to
Carl Nisarel

Just don't ask me to trust Charlton Heston...

Reply to
John Ings

As I indicated, and provided the cites for the case..the wankers changed the methodology of the Crime Survey. What was a 12% increase suddenly became a 2% decrease. Continued below....

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Why would I do that? He now has Alzheimers, unfortunately. But he was a very good and honest spokesman for a number of years.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

I think that was the single biggest factor in my disapointment in Moore's film. I was suprised that Heston would allow him to visit, and even more suprised that Moore treated him poorly on film - or rather, tried to. I think a critical viewing of those scenes showed Heston's viewpoint really was vindicated.

Especially given the alzheimers thing.

Jim

jim rozen