OT: in-line skate brake

This is preliminary, but wondering why I haven't already tried implementing this braking method. The brake is like a Razor scooter brake, except the braking force naturally won't come from the skater's foot. The braking force will come from ski poles or trekking poles. A small cup will be super glued to the braking fender. The cup and the ski poles are not shown in the pictures partly because there are other possible methods for applying force to the braking fender. Seems to me that ski poles would provide the greatest amount of control. However, any lever or ratcheting mechanism attached between the skate heel and the fender probably will work. The main application for this brake is speed control for going downhill. It is not for emergency braking. The brake is simple and extremely light. It attaches to the rear skate frame via a small bolt/nut at the same point as an ordinary heel brake. This brake should work similar to a heel brake. Since the braking force is applied to the rear wheel, leaning forward will automatically release braking pressure. I'll probably put the brake on both skates. It is preliminary. The main question in my mind is how long a brake wheel will last. Skate wheels are made for rolling and not grinding like a chunk of brake rubber, but this method is already used on scooters so it should be okay. Will see.

Pictures posted: Newsgroups: alt.binaries.phish Subject: in-line skate brake

Good luck and have fun.

Reply to
John Doe

My Oxygen brand hard boot rollerblades from 1993 have exactly that system. You just rotate the wheels on the skate to keep the rear one from getting too small. Best brake I've ever seen on a skate. Actuated just like a regular heel brake but mashes a rubber pad down on the wheel itself while it drags along the ground. The stopper is the thing that wears out. Eventually I just started doing T-stops instead of replacing it.

Reply to
atypicalguy

I would like to see pictures of that. The brake I am making is the same as a Razor scooter brake, the difference being only the way it's activated and coincidentally the fact that there are three (instead of one) wheels in front of the brake wheel.

Reply to
John Doe

maybe I'm old school, but whats wrong with a pocket full of gravel?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Look just a bit past halfway on this page....it has the yellow armature

notice it has a spring to pull pressure off wheel during glide/stroke

motorblade

The big differences from Mark's latest "brainstorm" are that the oxygen brake doesn't require you to carry a clunky trekking pole to stop and it doesn't require you to hit a small target with the tip of it. I want to see someone try that in an emergency situation, say when a parent pushes their kid in a stroller across the path without looking.

I am assuming that the oxygen skate was applied via the usual method of gliding on the back wheel and pushing the block against the ground.

I haven't had experience with it but I could see a good plus and a significant minus to it. If it happened to die because Oxygen failed as a company, it could be worth a look from other companies. It could require much less force of the brake against the ground to achieve moderate stopping forces. That is a problem with many beginners. The possible problem is if the user manages to hit it hard enough to lock up the wheel. With no rolling wheel on the ground, it is possible for it to want to go in any direction, like a car with locked up wheels.

It is also possible that the brake just didn't work well. As an example look at the Ultra Wheels DBS system, which is just below the Oxygen brake. The claim is "Inside the brake is a disc-braking system that provides extra braking power. " There is no possibility of "extra" power from the brake. At best, it can come up to the ability of a fixed brake block but that flat spots the roller which either makes the full life short (if the adjustment is really tightened down) or makes it uncomfortable as they roll while braking. If the adjustment is not locked up, all they do is limit your braking to a lower level.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Bill Fuhrmann should try reading my original post. Or maybe "It is not for emergency braking" is above living dead troll's reading level. Whatever.

"B Fuhrmann" wrote:

newsdbm02.news.prodigy.net!newsdst02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!140.99.99.194.MISMATCH!news-in-02.newsfeed.easynews.com!easynews.com!easynews!sn-xt-sjc-02!sn-xt-sjc-08!sn-post-sjc-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail

rec.sport.skating.inline,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

rec.crafts.metalworking:935775 sci.electronics.design:863570

Reply to
John Doe