OT: Joke (With metal content)

A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from a motorcycle's engine when he spotted a well known heart surgeon in the shop. The surgeon was waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his bike.

The mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey Doc, can I ask you a question?"

The surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic working on the motor cycle.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So, Doc, look at this engine here. I open its "heart", take the valves out, fix 'em up, put 'em back in and when I finish, it works good again. So how come I get such a stinking small paycheck and you get the big bucks, when you and I do the same work?"

The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over and whispered to the mechanic... "Try doing it with the engine running."

Happy Thanksgiving guys,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Ok, I know it's only a joke, and I plead guilty to picking nits, but the 'engine' isn't running when they work on it. They run your blood through a heart/lung machine and pour the chest cavity full of ice water till the heart stops. When they're finished, they warm it back up till it fibrillates, give it a little zap, and off it goes. At least that's how it was done 20 years ago.

**************************************************************************** **************
**************************************************************************** *************
Reply to
Bill Browne

I seem to remember a variation that included "through the exhaust pipe" as well.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Bill Browne wrote: (clip) I plead guilty to picking nits, but the 'engine' isn't running when they work on it. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nevertheless, Bill, when you are trying to drive out a taper pin, and you can't figure out which is the big end, and both ends are mushroomed, or you have just broken off a stud in a cast-iron engine block, and there is no room to line up a drill--be thankful you are not working on a living thing.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yes, But, that was for the old model.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Reply to
George

Bill,

Gonna pick a nit here myself, but my Dad had surgery a year and a half ago at the VA in Birmingham, Al. Don't laugh, UAB next door is one of the top heart institutes in the country. Anyway, from what I could decipher from all of the medical jargon, they did not stop his heart for the by-passes. They used a "table" (their wording not mine) to set his heart on while they performed the by-passes. They said they never stopped his heart.

Regards, Jim C Roberts

Jim Roberts

That was a similar one, a gynecologist turned mechanic, explaining why the final exam took her so long.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson