OT: knots

wrote:

Anyone have about 100 megs of freespace to host books on knots?
Ah...I have a few...ahum....
Gunner

Just so you know Ashley's book of Knots is on Pirate Bay. I've had my copy of Ashley for 30 years or so. The cat o' nine tails really works. Got stolen of course. Karl
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 04:51:13 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Thats one of the 15 or 20 knot books I was offering.
Gunner

Don, your writing style is really interesting - relaxing to read as well. When I see one of your posts I always read it.
You really ought to setup a little blog page somewhere & update it when you feel the need. I reckon we'd all get a lot of enjoyment reading what you've got to tell.

Gee, thanks, Dennis!

Dennis wrote:

That's a very good suggestion.
--

Richard Lamb

Hell yes! Don is a marvelous writer and Id read his stuff regularly!
Gunner

You guys are too much.
Perhaps I sorta use RCM as a blog, with occasional supplementary web pages when photos or graphics are helpful. I've sorta done that occasionally in the past, mostly during winter months when I'm in wideband land.
I feel like I have found a number of friends on RCM over the years, some no longer frequent (or ever) posters.
By the way, Gunner, Fitch's daily carry is a .380. <VBG>
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:54:19 -0500, Don Foreman

Yes and? He too is an "old man who cant carry a real gun"..... Right?
<G> Next time you hear from him, tell him Howdy!!
Gunner

I learned to rig in diving school in 1974. We practiced in the dark, as that was what working conditions were like. OSHA says NEVER use a rope to hoist, but it's done all the time, and like you say, if it's done right it's the best thing. We used to hoist boards using a timber hitch. When I taught knots to the new guys, they looked like they had just scored with some pretty girl. Doing something that most people can't do. I still amaze people with my rigging skills, and when someone wants something tied right, they call me.
The bowline that creates two bights is a useful knot, but I like the one where the two loops cannot slip. On the bight, IIRC. The other is the Spanish or French. Tons of simple knots, hitches, etc, that work great. Backsplicing and eye splicing always gets me oohs and ahs, particularly when I just do it in about three minutes, and toss it out there.
One of my favorite knots is the sheet bend, as it doesn't spill like the square knot. You know the thief knot?
Steve
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 06:06:53 -0700, "Steve B"

Yes. It's a subtle variant of the square knot, used to detect if a thief had been into one's kit and then retied it.

An old sailor's tale, but true. It can still be used today. If you know rope, you can tell a lot by just looking at it. A lot.
Steve

You may also like "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework", by Geoffrey Budworth. Can sometimes be found on the discount rack at Borders.
I have a few pamphlets from the Plymouth Rope Company dated 1946 with knots such as the midshipman's hitch, Spanish bowline, double bowline, and "How to tie a lariat" by Toots Mansfield. Maybe I'll scan and post a link
Don Foreman wrote:

Needing to know more, I went here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter%27s_bend
Which says that it can jam under moderate strain and refers to the _very_ similar Zeppelin bend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_bend
which it says does not ("jam proof", it says).
Bob
BTW - a nice variation on the square (reef) knot is the surgeon's knot, which puts an extra twist on the initial throw and makes it more secure while you're "throwing" the return. When Mary's not there to put her thumb on it.
Don Foreman wrote:

SNIPPED
And for those who need to see a knot before they can tie it.
http://www.animatedknots.com /
Being a FD member and an EMT who does confined space and high angle stuff a bit I try to keep in practice as well.
Also use many knots while fishing. If you ever think tying a knot with a good rope is hard try tying some of the braided fishing line you can buy!!!!
--
Steve W.

Are you using PowerPro or something else, Steve? I haven't bitten that bullet yet.
--
Ed Huntress

If you're going for grouper in 75 to 200 feet of water, use Suffix and a live baby yellow tail. You can feel the 'tail getting scared even before the bite.
There's a real good spot to do this just a couple miles out from KCB
karl

I'm not. In salt water, I'm fishing for bluefish in around 10' of water. The issue for me is casting, from jetties and the beach, but I'm not sure I want to put up with the complications -- like buying a $35 conversion kit for my spinning reel, and figuring out how to hoist 10-lb. choppers up a rock wall without cutting my hands to ribbons. I've seen the scars some guys have gotten from that line.

Good. Enjoy it. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

Karl Townsend wrote:

I have some PowerPro and some SpiderWire braided line. Both good line BUT they take a little time to get used to. The SpiderWire seems to stay tighter on the spools and casts a little smoother but it's not a huge difference. Knots are a whole new item with braided. Many of the standards won't hold.
Spent a few hours on vacation playing up in the Salmon River. Didn't get much worth keeping but one kid down under a bridge was having a blast pulling in small Rock Bass and Bluegill. He was about 6-7 and every time he asked his dad "Is this one big enough to keep?" He did get a good sized Bluegill just before we left.
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:38:19 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

I use Power Pro. I've used others too, but PowerPro usually has the best price and works as well as the others do.