OT: knots

There's an amazing number of "shoelace knots" for those with time to kill:

I was about 70 years old before I learned to pay attention to what I was doing when tying the standard "bunny ears" shoelace knot so that it had a square knot format, not a granny knot one.

The square knot format lets the loops stick out perpendicular to tha long axis of the shoe and is a secure knot. The granny knot format makes them stick out diagonally and comes undone by itself easily.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Anyone aware of a place I can put about 100 megs of knot books for a couple days so you guys have a chance to download them?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nothing a dab of superglue won't fix!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Never heard of it, but I googled it. You're right, that's all one needs. That is what I do, didn't know it had a name, learned it from an outfitter when I bought a used canoe from an outfitter decades ago and watched him lash it to the roof of my VW.

I've used span loops in the past, now I'm going to try the alpine butterfly because it's easier and quicker to tie. If that one jams I'll go back to the span loop. For securing the running end under tension I use the midshipman's hitch.

Reply to
Don Foreman

You guys are too much.

Perhaps I sorta use RCM as a blog, with occasional supplementary web pages when photos or graphics are helpful. I've sorta done that occasionally in the past, mostly during winter months when I'm in wideband land.

I feel like I have found a number of friends on RCM over the years, some no longer frequent (or ever) posters.

By the way, Gunner, Fitch's daily carry is a .380.

Reply to
Don Foreman

While we are on the subject, there is a real cute rope trick for carrying mattresses!

Tie a loop a few feet longer than the mattress, then tie two knots about

1/4 of the way in from each end. That makes three sections or loops, with the center one longer.

Stand the mattress on edge.

Those two "middle" knots go under the mattress, and the loops at each end angle up around the corners to form the "handles".

An 80 pound girl on each end can carry a queen sized mattress with no strain!

It's a really neat rope trick.

Reply to
cavelamb

I have ample time and inclination to fart around, but I don't need to do this test. Our data is that since we started using the palomar knot we have not lost a single fish or bit of terminal tackle due to knot failure in over 20 years with either mono or Spectra line. During that period we have hooked plenty of trophy-class docks, rocks, boathouses and tree branches, straightened some hooks and snapped a few lines, but never had a knot failure.

There's a Sliverado Trail pro bass tournament this coming weekend on our lake. A few guys were already out pre-fishing today, Wed. One went by here, close in, flippin' docks while I was sittin' on the deck tying knots, sipping an icey cold Mexican Coke and reading my book now and then.

I'm an old fart that knows where the fish are in this lake, but of course the young competitors don't think anyone knows as much as they. This young fella was smarter than most. I asked him what he was throwing, he said a popper. Ah, a good high-speed prospecting lure on some lakes, about worthless on this lake but I didn't bother mentioning that. He asked if there were ever any bass in the reeds nearby. Good question! I said "yes, sometimes there are." He didn't ask when so I didn't bother him with my opinions. Those reeds can be frantic bass-every-cast action at times. But not today. At the time of his question I think he should have been fishing a jig 'n pig on the outside weedline of the first dropoff or dragging a crankbait or Mepps spinner along it. What color? Well, shucks,wouldn't be any fun if I made it too easy. My 15 year old little green Ranger boat only has a 135 on it so whadda I know, right? Ed. note, live bait may not be used in bass tournaments, only artificial lures.

I about never go fishing for more than an hour or so.

"Make no mistake, we are put on Earth to fart around."

--Kurt Vonnegut, in Timequake.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yes and? He too is an "old man who cant carry a real gun"..... Right?

Next time you hear from him, tell him Howdy!!

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

ll time and for

s name is Lois and

d it but I know it

Just so you know Ashley's book of Knots is on Pirate Bay. I've had my copy of Ashley for 30 years or so. The cat o' nine tails really works. Got stolen of course. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

time and for

is Lois and

but I know it

Thats one of the 15 or 20 knot books I was offering.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You probably already know this one:

I was a merchant marine and a ship mate put Monkey's Fists on anything he could find. He did a much more intricate knot than what's shown. I still have a small kitchen brush he made for me that has a braided handle with an ornate monkey's fist on the handle tip.

Sincerest condolences.

Newb

Reply to
nobody

Leon Fisk wrote in news:i27l8p$r69$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Another one is the Rigger Apprentice by Brion Toss. It has a really good section on knots and also shows how to splice both fiber and wire rope. Nice writing style as well although there is a bit on sailboat rigging that did not interest me, but might excite someone who is looking to re- rig or replace an existing rig on a sailboat.

Reply to
Doc