OT: Laptop hard drive - I'm stumped

writes:

I just finished going through my 8100. I use it when I'm working on site to load code or DNC from. Nothing like W2K and a real serial port. The only thing that was a PIA was the fan replacement. I was even able to get replacement battery's cheaply.
JC

I'm typing this on W2K. Still have two boxen with it. Laptop, I went all out last July, finally met XP. I'm really not impressed that much with XP. Given my happiness with W2K you gotta know I'm not doing Vista anytime soon. I'm hoping Vista goes the way of ME.
I have had pretty good luck with usb<-> serial adaptors on W2K when I ran out of serial ports. Haven't tried it yet on XP. One less layer of something fing up is always good. :)
Wes

When you say "doesn't see" - do you mean "doesn't boot" or "doesn't see?"
You need a boot loaded on the disk for it to boot up, I believe. If you don't have one, then other computers will see it as a secondary disk, but it might not be bootable.
When you put it on another disk, was it the only one? Did it boot up?
And when you run disk diagnostics, does it recognize that the disk was there?
Perhaps it was not plugged in properly....... Or the cable on the problem laptop was bad...
writes:

Thanks for all your help! When I said the laptop won't see the drive, I mean it like it's not there. The BIOS says "no drive connected". A known good drive is recognized and boots fine. Yet this drive works fine on a desktop, must be the differences in controllers, maybe desktop controllers are more robust.
I have images of drives for almost all the laptop models I work on. When I have to replace a drive, I just use Acronis and pre-load the new drive with XP and all the usual application and drivers. Then I only change the keys to the right ones. I'm just starting to get Vista jobs.

Have to agree with the crowd, if Spinrite says the drive is fine it sure sounds like the laptop has the problem. Call Dell for a RMA and get it back there before the motherboard turns into a pumpkin.
Boss just got me a Subnotebook for the truck - the Inspiron 910 Mini-9 with an STEC 8GB solid state hard drive. Should handle rough handling a lot better.
I'll have to really watch what I put on it at 8 GB. Problem is, I remember when 10MB of hard drive sounded like a lifetime supply of space, and 1200 baud was blazing fast after stepping up from 300...
("Walked twenty miles to school in a blizzard, uphill both ways...")
--<< Bruce >>--

WOW, are you OLD!!! I still remember my CP/M home-build with 8" SSSD drives and 64K of memory.
Buerste wrote:

Wow, you had a hard drive? I was saving up to buy a 160K floppy drive
Somewhere I still have a full-height 5mb hard drive from a Trash-80

You had memory? We had to use rocks.
Maxwell Lol wrote:

Rocks for Zeros, Sticks for Ones.
Ahh yes, the good old days.

I still have my Texas Instruments TI-99/4A out in the shed, all the accessories, and about a dozen spare consoles from garage sales. Dual 5"floppies, but not sure whether they were DSSD or DSDD. Have the Expansion Box and a garage sale CP/M Card I never even tried, but never got the HDD.
And if I could get ribbons easily I'd still be using my Epson MX-80 - which is badged as a TI-99/4A Impact Printer. Used to load a full box of tractor-feed 1-up mailing labels and a fresh ribbon, and let it run all night...
--<< Bruce >>--
writes:

Did you play "text adventure" games? (XYZZY!!! (from Zork))

Not too much. Just the original "Hitchhiker's Guide" with the "Invisible Ink" hint book.
I soon outgrew that one, and talked mom into dropping $8K on a fully loaded PC-XT - and that was $8K /after/ the 50% IBM employee discount from Aunt Penny.
They thought we were insane getting the 10MB hard drive /and/ dual floppies /and/ 640K RAM /and/ Proprinter XL just to manage a large mailing list. But it served us well for many years - the replacement was a Pentium 90. If I could get a fresh MFM drive for a reasonable price, that puppy would still be running.
--<< Bruce >>--
writes:

While getting ready to move, I just pitched a bunch of MFMs and RLL drives, 20, 30 and 40mb Seagates. I still have one on an old 386 that I have to play with Maxcnc.

Zork? It's from the original Adventure (aka Colossal Cave Adventure). Maybe zork borrowed it, but it wasn't the source.
I burned enough time playing Adventure that I've been very careful about computer games ever since. I never played zork to speak of, but did get hooked by "Spider in the Web" a few years ago -- just an outstanding experience.
http://www.wurb.com/if/game/207
And, I don't think I'd come across this amazing site before: http://www.wurb.com/if/index This is an amazing index to interactive fiction. I feel my spare time draining away....
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

I am - right now - printing wing part patterns on my 25 year old Epson FX-100.
Laser printers are nice, bubbles make color, but when it has to be full real-life scale, nothing beats an ancient Epson.
I'm running XP on this box, and had to turn off all the bells and whistles in the printer driver to get solid output. Otherwise the lines get jittered up something horrible. For a while I thought I was going to have to resurrect a DOS machine to get this stuff printed.
Also had to LUBRICATE the printer to get it working again. (remember those old hammer and chisel days?)

I have the TI-99/4A, the extended basic module, an assember module, and a wirewrapped 32K mem expansion I made myself. The TI-99/4a tech ref manual gave me the pinouts.
That was a machine that TI crippled. Using Gram or was it Grom to protect the chance to sell games and such. It could have been so much better built around the minicomputer chip inside.
Instead the rather open C64 adn V20 kicked their arse.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:41:24 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman

Usta do that with the C-128 and star 10 once I figured out that I needed to use the other half of the drive belt. The first half was well worn and used to skip which resulted in the print head moving with no paper feed. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... that does *not* work if you have cats. They love to curl up on the paper or label stock and don't at all understand why that makes the humans upset and noisy. :-)
    And yes -- we used to make long runs of labels, too -- using various Motorola-powered systems, from Altair 680b, through SWTP 6800, SWTP 6809, and eventually, COSMOS-16/UNX (Motorola 68000 based v7 unix system -- ending with the Sun 3 series of machines (68020).
    Enjoy,         DoN.
I used to sell TI 990 (as I recall) the large industrial mag memory box.
That baby ran. One utility decided to get a different printer - and in upper and lower case. A band printer. Ugh.
When I printed a banner top of * test and a bottom of *..... The TI would wham them out while the band printer had one * per side.
So it was slooooooooooooooow to print. I modified the program for that customer. The other ones wanted the way they had.
The older printers were neat to use. Had a Centronics LP and treated it as serial port. Used the serial handshaking and the output to the port just went to the parallel port once patching that in. I had a big machine language program with built in print drivers.
Martin [ 8080, 8080B, PC, AT, sun 1,3,etc... ]
DoN. Nichols wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:41:24 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman

Did you try spraying the ribbon with WD-40 ? It got some additional life out of printer ribbons.
RWL