OT latest eBay shakeup

Control and profits.
Under recent changes, sellers may only accept PayPal payments (PayPal being part of eBay's company), with a few exceptions (or a couple of different
electronic transfers).
I only mention this here in RCM because eBay is the channel that many of us acquire our cool stuff thru.
Some sellers are really pissy about payments, some say payment due within 2 days, many say confirmed addresses only (even though PayPal seller protection has been extended to include buyers with unconfirmed addresses, as I was notified Oct 31 '08). My bank and utility statements go to a PO Box (not a shady, privately-owned drop box), so my address isn't confirmed for FedEx or UPS.
The UPS system doesn't stop PO Box addresses from being entered into the system (at least not thru thru the eBay/UPS portal for printing shipping labels), so I've had to tell a couple of sellers that I informed them of my street address in my correspondence (which they chose to ignore), so, to have the package intercepted costs the seller an additional $10 (heheh), and generates more revenue for UPS.
Some sellers insist on using UPS when USPS gives away new boxes/packaging for Priority Mail, and USPS can pick up packages, too. In my experience, UPS is slow and wreckless, damaging about 40% of my packages. But some sellers insist on using battered, used boxes that burst or destroy the contents, by sending them UPS. So what?
A UPS claim means the damaged product goes back to the seller, and the buyer waits for a settlement (try to get a receipt for the merchandise from a driver when you give it back to him/her), in which the end result may be that UPS declares the package a "bad pack", no payment. So you ask/squeeze/force the seller for a refund. Wasted effort over weeks of waiting, but you get a refund made by the seller or PayPal.
I'm not apprehensive about using PayPal for payments, I've had a Personal/no fees account almost as long as I've been eBaying, 1999 maybe. I expect the no fees agreement to be charged fees before long. That will be the last straw.
Ebay has made countless worthless/damaging changes to try to convince everyone that there is no risk in doing business with a stranger online. They want the control AOL imposes on it's members, only to try to insure that fraud is non-existent.
Thieves are going to get in and make money on the eBay name, but they think they'll be able to stop them.
Ebay, where they're working hard 24/7 to fuck up a good business. Oh well, maybe Microsoft will buy it.
In general, most eBayers are honest folks. Many others are just afraid of what might happen if they piss off the watchdogs.
Both eBay and PayPal have settled claims for me, although I hate the processing and persistence required to finalize a claim. Ebay or PayPal gave me $100 last year out-of-the-blue because I had filed a claim. That wasn't the settlement, just a kind-of apology from eBay or PayPal (can't remember which, doesn't matter, since they are one), which was followed up with an apologetic phone call (which also included several questions about my overall satisfaction with doing business on eBay and if I trusted PayPal).
I'd bet some tightwads are fuming or drooling over that, but I had consistently been spending some serious moola at the time.
--
WB
metalworking projects
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

[snip]
I've never had a problem buying from ebay sellers that I couldn't resolve by talking to the seller myself. Also, I've never had a problem selling things on ebay.
Ebay wasn't broken, but they are working hard to fix that.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
eBay is working hard to piss off as many people as possible and on squeezing every dollar out of buyers and sellers. They always disguise it as "improving buyer experience"or some crap like this.
Add pictures here
✖
Here is why I hate the "paypal only" policy despite accepting paypal.
I sell a lot of stuff that is picked up locally. Paypal gives me no seller protection if a buyer pays via paypal, picks up, and later claims that "item was not delivered". In such a case, they would refund the buyer without question. They require a tracking number from UPS or USPS as proof of delivery. Signed statements "item picked up in described condition" mean nothing to them. So they are demanding that I accept payments and expose myself to buyer fraud. All so that they can make extra bucks on the paypal fees.
✖
On Dec 1, 8:52 am, Ignoramus14497 <ignoramus14...@NOSPAM. 14497.invalid> wrote:

I didn't know thing were that shakey. If I have someone do a pick-up in the future I'll be sure to have them sign beneath a copy of their drivers license. That might help.
dennis in nca
Add pictures here
✖

Dennis, yes, I think that it does help.
✖

I NEVER ever let anyone make a copy of my DL jk
Add pictures here
✖

Why? Is there a real potential problem, say if the copy is a B&W (like at a doctor's office), or just a personal preference, or just paranoia?
I am curious. I realize a good color copy might lead to an easy identity theft, but if the copy is a crappy reproduction, then what?
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

If someone is all set up to produce plausible looking fake ID's including all the decals and holograms, all they really need is the data. Your data, their photo, and away they go... --Glenn Lyford
Add pictures here
✖

Why not just take cash and be done with it? What's a copy of a drivers license going to do for you?
Add pictures here
✖
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Show proof of who picked it up ! Even if they pay cash , ebay/paypal can make you refund the money to their account .
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

paypal will make you refund money they never changed hands in the first place?
How does this work?
Add pictures here
✖
Cydrome Leader wrote:

He tells ebay he never received the item . ebay forces the refund ... not sure if it matters that he didn't pay thru paypal . I could be wrong , I have been before ...
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

I used to do what Cydrome leader suggested, which is to specify "cash only on local pickup". I believe that this is no longer acceptable.
Indeed, if they pay cash, they cannot get a refund from ebay or paypal, but only have recourse to the seller. Usually, on local pickups they are able to ascertain the condition of the item so that there are no disputes later.
✖

I used to have quite a few eBay customers that would mail me a check and I very seldom waited for the check to clear before I shipped and never had a problem. Now most of those guys (old farmers) don't trust Paypal and just quit buying. eBay just sucks now. Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Sounds like me. Looks like I'm done with ebay. I haven't been on there in a while anyway.
Pete Keillor
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:45:14 -0500, the infamous Pete Keillor

I continue to find excellent buys at eBay in a vast array of niches: clothes, hardware, software, electronics, computer, books, music, woodworking, metalworking, etc., but I hate what they're becoming. Damn, how can they continue shooting themselves in the feet like that? They're -voluntarily- expunging millions of loyal customers. Maroons.
After hearing horror stories (nobody I know has ever had a problem with account freezes from them) about PayPal, I opened a separate free bank account specifically for PayPal. No problems in 6 years with that, either.
-- The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions. -- Ellen Glasglow
Add pictures here
✖
The rules and restrictions for selling are approaching the dumbfoundedness of the US tax code.
It's been said before that the direction eBay is choosing, is to be a huge membership of high volume power sellers, that in reality offer nothing but throw-away cheap crap, that I can get locally if I wanted it.
I do enjoy finding a lot of cool crap that the smaller sellers pick up at places I can't get to (an auction/liquidation across the country).
When the interesting stuff is gone because the smaller sellers are forced out, eBay will very likely become an online version of a Chinese city marketplace.
But then again (most of ?) American consumerism is about buying products that insure the job security of the waste management companies.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Same here.
✖

I've bought a few things where I picked up the item in person. I'm bringing a postal money order or check depending our relationship. Why should I give paypal a cut of this? I'm not going to hand over the money if I'm not happy with what I'm intending to pick up?
WEs
Add pictures here
✖