OT latest eBay shakeup

Exactly how I see it. What I like about local pickups, as a seller, is
1) cash 2) Being able to show everything to the buyer 3) no packing and shipping 4) meeting fun people. I have a great relationship with a few of my buyers 5) being able to sell them more stuff 6) not paying paypal
When I list on craigslist, I usually discount stuff 20% from what I think they would sell on ebay. I would rather have the buyer get the savings.
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:52:42 -0600, Ignoramus14497

Pay upon pickup is still OK
http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html
note the last paragraph under "Pay upon pickup" drivers license copy is probably a good idea, and a picture of the item loaded on the buyers truck. (get the plate in the picture)
Mailing a check/MO seems to be verbotin. One could always arrange to mail a payment and have the item shipped if the seller listed pick-up as an option. Seller could not go through ebay or paypal shipping though.....
Listed my surface grinder for sale a week ago, then found out any "machine" is a $25.00 fee. I will not list it again, most likely going to the scrap yard.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

It is OK to accept cash on pickup. What is NOT OK is refusing to take a paypal payment for pickup.

Randy wrote:

What amazes me is that they are breaking federal laws by saying that you cannot use any other payment methods. I'm surprised that it hasn't been taken to court yet.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

I've never had a problem e-mailing a seller and asking if they would take a non-payscam payment, even when they list it as such. A few have ignored the request, and lost my business, but everyone else has said, "sure, no problem." I do send payment the day after the auction closes, and inform them of such, which reduces the amount of hassle they have to deal with.
It never hurts to ask.
Jon
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:52:02 -0800, the infamous "Jon Danniken"

I've asked before bidding, and many which say "No PayPal" will accept it when asked specifically. Occasionally, I've bid and then seen that they wanted a money order as payment. Most will accept Paypal or a check if asked, too, and they won't wait 10 days before shipping. My long eBay history helps, I'm sure.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
Not making payments by PayPal now, is one of the issues with the change.
If transactions are taking place with no electronic record of being paid (funds transfer), is likely that software can detect/track/monitor and alert for these conditions. I suspect this is why the changes were put into place, and/or at least what PayPal's intentions are (the detecting/tracking with software part).
It would be my guess that this exact situation is going to sneak up on sellers and buyers.
Even if sellers can get away with accepting other forms of payment, the seller will still be responsible for paying PayPal fees for the transaction. Here again, having a tranaction fee without a record of a funds transfer can very likely be detected/monitored by software.
I can see a bypass though, if the item doesn't sell at the end of the auction.. particularly if contact is established previously.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Ooh, that sucks. Other than a few items (out of close to 300 purchases) I've had very good luck with product condition and description.
There was the broken handle on a hand plane (in 2 pieces, not "slight crack" as she stated, and she then negged me after I 'neutraled' her), a corroded mister, and this recent broken CD. I got refunds on the latter two and wrote off the first as a bitch on wheels.

Yeah, I wasn't too comfy with that turn of events, either. Too monopolous. The recent raise in fees across the board didn't help win them any friend, either.

I ordered a book (or thought I did) last week and then found out that it was an ebook, not paper. I immediately cancelled the sale but the seller had been too quick. He packed it and mailed it within 20 minutes of my purchasr. Anyway, he said it was OK to return it and he'd give all my money back, including original shipping fees, if I returned it. The disc arrived broken and, very professionally, he simply told me to toss it and he refunded my money.
A question about today's eBay Stores: I have some items to sell online. Is the $9.95/mo store worth the price? 20 at a time is OK by me. Who's using their store nowadays and how do you like it?
-- The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions. -- Ellen Glasglow
I was watching to see if anyone commented on having a store, but haven't seen any replies.
At one time, the stores were free (or nearly), and recently, a friend had said they are fairly costly now. Fees in layers, essentially, which is another similarity to taxes.
Store items initially weren't included in general search results. Then store items were included in search results, and the fees started stacking up.
I haven't been selling in several years, and I'm not inclined to start, although I would have been selling all along if there weren't so many regularly added restrictions, rules (oh, policies) and fees.
My most outrageously profitable sales were items bought on, and later resold on eBay. I'm talking hilariously wild profits with buyers that were happy to get such a good deal (not deceiving suckers into buying crap). Fairly common items, not rare art/coins etc, and not dumpster recovery. Looking up information for descriptions (if needed), good pictures and detailed descriptions were a bit tedious at times, but not hard work (mouse keyboard stuff, sitting in a chair at a desk). I wasn't out working hard to find stuff.
I wasn't loose with word meanings or stretch/embelish/bullshit/lie about the condition of stuff, like many sellers do. I wasn't following any sales program or particularly talented, and didn't know anything that wasn't more-or-less common sense. I presented enough honest information so the buyer could know what to expect when they opened the box, without any disappointment (and sometimes a bonus of a couple extra items, which goes a long way toward having a happy buyer - added value, who doesn't appreciate that?).
I've been tellin folks for many years that the US is the land of surplus (has been, since at least the post-WWII era). Connect that supply to the most overindulgent buyers on earth, and see if you can loose money.
I wonder if most folks get more than 5% interest on their savings accounts. The rational expectation of 100-1000% anywhere, by legal means may seem idiotic, until it's experienced. I know $2 can become $30, $40, $400 and $50, $2000 fairly easily and fairly quickly (not having it sit in an eBay store for 3 months to years, waiting for someone desperate enough to pay a stupid price for it).
Ebay was an avenue to great potential for opportunity at one time, maybe something more reasonable will start up. Yahoo tried it for a while, I don't know how long it lasted. There are many other places to sell stuff online, but the sheer numbers of drooling, itchy buyers of eBay probably won't be matched for quite a while.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Yeah, I'm considering the $10/mo store (20 items at a time, max) and asked last week, but didn't see any replies, either.

eBay is saying "We're Gods. PAY UP!" To that notion, I say "UP YOURS!"

That's great.

It still is, but its value and utility are now greatly diminished. RIP, eBay.
-- Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived. -- Helen Keller
Wild_Bill wrote:

The small sellers are being totally forced out. I calculated the EBay cut for small items to be in the region of 35-40% if you add the insertion fees, final value fees and PayPal cut. It's just not worth it!
Other stuff they introduced is the maximum shipping charges on some items, notably books. I sold a few of those but will not do so any more as the maxima are well below the current postal charges from Canada.
Finally, as a result of all this or not, there are very few bargains now to be had on EBay. I was looking for some stuff for my mill and found I could buy it cheaper from established bone-fide dealers.
The reasons to use EBay are getting to be less and less.
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

    Dang. I've just moved, I'm unpacking books which have been in storage for years, books I've decided I don't really want. A couple series which are of the sort that have a loyal, but small, following. Advertising them "to the world" beats trying to hold a yard sale.     But it looks like I'll just take them to local used book store, and save the hassle.
pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

you can sell them at amazon

If you use ebay to communicate electronically and leave your phone number the seller can verify your address by doing a telephone number reverse lookup at anywho.com and call you back.
Wes