OT: Legion of Honor awarded to WWII vet

The highest French award, the Legion of Honor was just awarded to my uncle Tom, my namesake, some sixty years after. He was always hush-hush about his service in the OSS. He's 83 now living in AZ playing golf every day.

I just thought it was good contrast with the American haters that infest this NG.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thank him for his service to our country Tom.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Please pass on my congratulations, from a Vietnam era Veteran.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ROTFLMAO! For someone who has expressed such a poor opinion of everything French, you're really hypocritical.

BTW Try being a bit more honest in your posts:

George

Reply to
George

That's pretty darn cool, especially after more than 60 years. Have you heard the story behind it?

John

Reply to
JohnM

Why would this change my opinion of the French? It took them 60+ years to fork over a medal to my uncle Tom. I had a bunch of relatives that fought in France in WWII, that still doesn't make me a hypocrite. The French are idiots but they might be getting on the right track with better leadership now. Your reply is non-sequitur, you're an idiot...are you French?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The main problem is that the French government keeps acting in what they perceive to be the best overall interests of the

*FRENCH* people rather than the transnational corporations or the United States.

Of course this puts a large knot in the pantyhose of the transnational CEO's, hedge funds, etc. as well as the doofuses in our state department and other policy making departments, who no longer understand (or wish to apply) the model of "national interest" as it applies to the majority of citizens and not just the hidden agendas of elite/oligarchs.

What I don't understand is why it bothers anyone that is not a member of the oligarchy. How have the actions of the French taken one penny out of your pocket, one bite of food out of the mouths of your children or put a knot on your head or shin?

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

A true soldier, He did his job because it needed done, not for bragging rights, or 'to be a hero'. Talking about it will bring back painful memories of friends who didn't make it home, even after all these years.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There may be a few French still living that appreciate the sacrifice our men made back then.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Here's an article:

Tom McGuire, my mom's brother never speaks much about his service. He only says he did as asked and he's glad he made it home.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you'd done some research you would have found that this was a gesture in celebration of the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

As for your uncle one wonders if his opinion changed after being issued with the US Army booklet: "112 Gripes About the French"?

BTW Please cite when or if the US Government ever awarded honors to the French who financed and fought alongside in the Revolutionary War?

George

Reply to
George

My minor distaste for the French really has little to do with politics directly. I have French customers and used to have French suppliers...they are idiots and reflect poorly on the rest of the French.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

How often do ghosts come and visit you? But you are obliged to remember them to make up for the ones that disrespect them. Some day my friend, some day...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I already have a lot of departed friends to remember, though none from combat. Working with the local Veterans Park, we are currently losing over 200 men and women every quarter who served and returned, in the US military. They range from WW-II to today's battles. Their names are read in a ceremony (Usually on the first Saturday of each quarter). The Park was recently declared the best in the state of Florida, and one of the best in the country. It didn't get that way by accident. It took over 10 years of hard work, and fund raising, volunteer work, and depends on the same volunteers to operate and maintain the park. It was built for one reason: To remember those who served.

To those who don't understand these people? They are not worth wasting your time on. They are pitiful, but don't deserve pity. What they DO deserve is a one way ticked to the nearest battle zone with two days of MREs, two clips for a worn out M16, and let them find out just what a REAL soldier goes through. Current figures state that one in seven see combat, but you don't know if you'll be one of them when you enter the military. It doesn't deter brave young American men and women from signing up even though they know they may not make it home, or if they do how it will affect the rest of their lives. We have had several groups threaten to disrupt different ceremonies and services at the park, but none have had the guts to do more than carry picket signs, several blocks away. 'Hawkie' would be proud of the antiwar idiots who wave their childish signs and chant like four year olds. They remind me of the 'Simpsons' with the kids asking 'arewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyet' as they stagger around in their little circles. They are pissed that the local print and TV media have completely ignored them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A toast to the living A drink to the dead To Absent Friends!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Amen.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

suppliers...they

What I'd like is to hear what your French customers think of you. Chances are they probably have a pretty low opinion of you too, as do I. In your case it's one you earned and also reflects badly on Americans in general.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I'm now to the point of pity for you. You must live in such a little hate bubble.

FYI, my French customer receive the same service as all and rate us at 9.3 out of 10. They don't know how to manage inventory and are constantly in trouble with over/under stock. I anticipate their usages and kanban for them independently of their ordering. I even call them to tell them they are probable out of stock on something or their orders are too large for their needs. YEP, they must surely have a low opinion of me and hate America because of me. Damn, you're a fool!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

No, you are what makes people hate America. Your hatred and bile disgusts the whole world. It people like you who make the decision to keep the death penalty in place so easy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When people like me were in the White House (back in the 90s) America was thought highly of all over the world. Now we have people like you in the White House and the world hates America. If you were not so bone headed you would see the connection. But since you will never get it on your own I'll explain it to you. The policies of the Bush administration and the actions of the US military, in killing thousands of people in other countries, are what has caused the hate for America. Having people like you supporting the wrongheaded decisions of the "decider" is what has made the US a pariah worldwide. It's simple really. Even you should be able to get it but apparently it's beyond your comprehension. How's this? America be good; world likes America. America be bad; world hates America. The truth is it's not people like me who screwed things up it's you and your republican leaders who did it. But you can't handle the truth.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke