OT Longevity of frozen turkey

Right after Thanksgiving last year I bought a 12lb turkey. It's been in the freezer at 0°F in it's original sealed wrapper since. It should still be good, right ? JR Dweller in the cellar i know I can just thaw it and find out....

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

JR North on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:03:35

It is good. It might have a texture which is "funny", but as far as I'm concerned, it is good.

Same goes for not being the lead lemming ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Yep, it should be good.

Ignoramus12203

You could always saw off some and cook it before planning a large family gathering around it. I would. I don't believe it would hurt you but it may taste funny/bad. My mom often kept food in the freezer too long...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Or cook the whole thing up for home use, but not for guests.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Soup, hash, stew. But I've done year old turkeys. I'm a bachelor, so keeping a turkey in the freezer till I get the next one from work is not unusual.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

My freezer is kept at -1 deg F (-20 deg C). I buy various cuts of beef & pork, and bread when on sale and use it up when prices are higher. Although I have no experience with turkey, I can vouch for the fact that meats and bread keep very well for lengthy periods... Used up bread after almost 2 years and after thawing and toasting it was impossible to tell the difference from fresh.

The only disappointments I have had with freezing are blueberries and salmon; these invariably taste much better fresh. Perhaps there is a secret to freezing these that I don't know about?

Wolfgang

Reply to
wolfgang

Wolfgang, there may be a secret to thawing as opposed to freezing. Let it thaw as slowly as possible.

Ignoramus15569

Yep. A week in the refrigerator.

Reply to
RBnDFW

wolfgang wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:32:35 -0700 (PDT):

I can't speak for the fish, but for fruit, freezing quickly is important. If you can find a source for dry ice you can freeze your own. Smash the dry ice and mix with the fruit until frozen. Once frozen with the dry ice, it can be stored in your standard freezer. Quick freezing makes for smaller ice crystals and less damage.

Reply to
dan

Yes - they need to be quick-frozen, like dropped into a bucket of liquid nitrogen. If you just put them in the ordinary freezer, the ice crystals will disrupt the cell structure and, for lack of a better term, "let the flavor out."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Same thing for poultry (and I would guess everything). My wife use to work at the poultry processing plant occasionally in her job at PSU and the "blast freezers" there were a miniature hurricane at below 0. I've helped put things in and out of them. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

50+ years ago, before home freezers were readily available, our family utilized a frozen food locker and froze a great deal of fresh garden vegetables along with home grown meat. The only products I remember with distaste were cauliflower and green beans, they tasted great for about the first three months then assumed the taste and texture of semi-cooked rubber. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

Thanks to all of you who offered advice on my observed problem with freezing blueberries and salmon!

In preparation for next year's blueberry season I will line-up a supply of dry ice and try the quick freeze (and slow thaw) method described above.

I just looove blueberry pancakes and muffins. I enjoy the berries by the handful all by themselves too.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wolfgang

I've ate a lot of 1 year + turkeys. As long as mom baked them, they tasted just fine.

Wes

Wes