OT: Macor swarf

Hi All, Macor is a machinable ceramic, so this is off topic. I have been involved in a project that uses Macor for many of it's component parts. I thank all that gave tips at the beginning. Someone remarked someone said that the swarf was mildly abrasive, someone else said that if was good for polishing things and I can second that! I've used a poc vise that was stained and rusted before I got it The vise shines like a mirror now, where it is not too badly pitted anyway. I protected the ways and table of the vertical mill with 55 gallon sized plastic bags and a bunch of mighty mags and poc knock offs ( got those when I got the vise) . My question is to those of us that use spent brass to reload: has any one mixed this swarf with the polihing media and if so with what results? Kent

Reply to
Kent Frazier

Where can I get more info on this? TIA. Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I think you can purchase a piece of it (macor) from McMaster Carr.

Supposedly gets brittle with age, cuts best with water as the cutting fluid. Taps, drills, etc.

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
K Frazier

I'm surprised if it gets brittle with age. It's a glass/mica material. It should be stable.

'Back about 1978 or 1980, at IMTS, Corning had a young guy demonstrating the stuff, mostly drilling holes in little domino-sized chunks. He would drill a

3/8" hole halfway through from the broad face, and then drill an 1/8" hole from one end that intersected the big hole.

The old folks thought it was interesting, but they had no idea that the little blocks he was machining and passing out to the crowds actually were something useful. They were hash pipes.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Here's one spot, I'm sure Corning has data online as well.

There are less expensive alternatives if you can compromise on the mix of properties.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Tell me more, please.