OT Maglite threads

For the many Maglite fans:

Someone here recommended Burndy Penetrox A for aluminum-to-aluminum and aluminum-to-copper threaded electrical connections.

I picked up some yesterday, tried it on the tailcap of my 2D Maglite, which is old enough that the anodization has worn off of the threads.

WOW! The tailcap now screws on very smoothly.

I found the Penetrox A (catalog number P8A) at a large electrical supply house -- for half the price of buying it online.

BTW, Gunner, I'm making progress on the Luxeonated MX991\U. I think I have a scheme for driving a 3W Lux from 2 D cells, full output down to 0.9 volts per cell. A 1-watt would be more "practical" because of longer battery life, but I think I'm gonna go 3 watts on this one just for fun.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Cool!

Gunner

Gunner

On a Mag light, the threads themselves are supposed to be anodized and the electrical contact is made on the faced end of the tube, and the mating surface on the cap. If you have a Mag where the anodizing is not worn off unscrewing the cap will break the contact. IIRC Mag recommends using Vaseline to lube the threads. Probably a lot cheaper than Penatrox.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Vaseline is definitely cheaper, though $8 worth of Penetrox would be a lifetime supply. I've used Vaseline on aluminum threads. The Penetrox works a LOT better. Hams who use it on aluminum antenna parts outdoors also say it works very well. Conductivity aside, it is designed to have very good anti-corrosion properties.

Reply to
Don Foreman

It is not so much the $8 but I think it would do you no better than ordinary slickym. I have never noticed much corrosion in my well used Mag lights even the penlight that spends a lot of time getting drool on it when clenched in my teeth.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

YMMV! The hams that use it on their antenna towers sure like it. For dentally-mounted flashlights, may I suggest chocolate frosting as a more suitable lubricant..... or perhaps K-Y gel in the new herring flavor....

Reply to
Don Foreman

Maybe one of these would help:

has a length of 169 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

Bob

Reply to
KewlKiwi