OT? Metal or plastic bucket for man lift

nick hull fired this volley in news:nhull- snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

plastic,

I'm not sure I'd use a drum, unless I did some serious bracing to make it more rigid. Drums without lids have little structural strength.

However, if you want a "bigger drum", seek a 55-gal "overpack" drum for containing 55-gallon drums that have developed leaks.

They're big enough for the average man, supposing you put your tool holsters on the outside.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I'm building a portable elevator to mount on my tractor's 3-point hitch so I can reach into trees, etc. It will be based on a Genie SuperLift

24 which is rated for 24' overhead lift 0f 640#. I want something small and light and cheap, a 55 gal drum seems a little too small to hold me with my tools. The actual lift will be limited to 20'

A sturdy drum bigger than the std 55 gal might work, metal or plastic, or even a wicker basket. I'm looking for ideas. Incidentally, I have an unlimited supply of bamboo if that could be used. Any suggestions appreciated, I usually find good ideas here ;)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
nick hull

Metal is probably easier to work with (weld, etc.). But plastic, or better yet fiberglass has its advantages in the event you accidentally come in contact with power lines.

I'd be careful about cobbling something like this together and using it on uneven ground. It doesn't take much to tip a relatively heavy vehicle over if you aren't using outriggers. If your tires or suspension (I realize its a tractor) are too soft and this gets started leaning, the whole contraption could start rocking and fall over.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I won't be working near power lines, but I like the lightness of plastic/fiberglass

Should not be a problem since the lift will be vertical even on uneven ground. Obviously it will be empty & lowered before moving the tractor.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
nick hull

A particularly good idea, especially since I have a spare overpack unused ;)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
nick hull

Are you basing this on personal experience? This has not been my personal experience, mind you I have cut less than a dozen drums in my life.

Reply to
RJ

That sounds like a "Brownie". A welding shop not too far from me manufactures them. See:

or the same thing as a pdf:

Kind of a poor picture, but may give you some ideas...

They don't seem to have a website, I looked for one not too long ago, unsuccessfully.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

"RJ" fired this volley in news:ycednR6umpW075fUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.sasktel:

message

Yeah, I have quite a lot of experience modifying drums for other uses. I used to make for sale BBQ cookers on the old "two-barrel" concept.

Steel drums are actually more fragile when empty and lid-less than plastic. Drums are made to be _filled_, and the lid rigidly attached, not merely set on top -- either crimped on or clamped on. Without it, it's basically a tin can with no lateral strength at the top, at all.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Weld a suitably sized frame from 25 or 30 mms quare tube with marine ply ( or formply ) sides & base. Not particularly cheap but you will have to make a suitable base to mount any ready made bucket and a welded frame will be stronger and safer, plus tool brackets/boxes can be welded on.

Alan

Reply to
alan200