OT: Mopar Radio ID

While cleaning out an old garage I came across a radio that belonged to my grandfather. The only two Chrysler products that I remember him owning were a 1947 Dodge coupe and a 1956 DeSoto. If anyone recognizes it or can direct me to a source that could ID it I would greatly appreciate it. links to pics are below:

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan

That vertical styling looks more 56ish than 47ish. If the tubes inside are about 5/8 to 7/8 diameter with glass envelopes and 7- or 9-pin bases then it's definitely 1956 and not 1947 -- a 1947 car radio would most likely have metal tubes with octal (8 pins and a stinger to establish clocking) bases, or possibly glass-equivalent octal-base tubes.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

May help-

spamTHISbrp

I think you're well of the pace as by 1953 the Mopar model was 819, to me it looks early 40s.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'm not up on Mopar styling, so I have to agree. Miniature glass tubes were only used for battery power and VHF before WWII and were not immediately adopted until afterward, so the tube types would be a good (but also not exact) indicator.

Of course browsing some collectors books for dashboard pictures, or finding a site on identifying Mopar radios would be definitive, but where would be the fun in that?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Definitely 1947 or older based on the buy one used ~1957 to install in the Model "A" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller
47 would have 6 volt tubes in. 56 would have 12 volt tubes, 6 volt batteries left cars in 54 and then everything was 12 volt. look for volt rating on the radio. or check the tube numbers. 6 volt strart with a 6 and 12 volt start with 12, hope this helps. Billy
Reply to
Billy-223
1947 judging by the chrome knobs. The DeSoto would have been a push button search radio as a base model, or the unit with the Hi-Way HI-Fi record player option.
Reply to
Steve W.

Open it. If it has tubes 1956. If no tubes much later. Transistor radios didn't come out until almost the 60's

Reply to
Clif Holland

According to Clif Holland :

First, there was a single power transistor (TO-3 case) which replaced the vibrator which used to convert the 12V to the high voltage for the tube plates.

Enjoy, DoN

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

There were also some auto radios that used transistors only in the audio output stage. I seem to remember this was common with the tubes ("dark cathode"?) which used 12volts on the plates.

The Mopar 801 radio was used from about 1941 to about 1949. It has some value to collectors.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

1947 Dodge I have the same radio in a 1947 Plymouth 6 volt positive ground. Don
Reply to
Don Murray

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

This did the trick. Looks like it's from a 1941 or 1942 Mopar product of some sort. Thanks a lot.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan

I can tell you pushbuttons were not in 47's. Lucky to have knobs :-)

The 55 and 56 Plymouth station wagons IIRC were push button control of the transmission. Maybe 57.

So I bet the 56 DeSoto got a new radio and the old one was brought home.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Tim Wescott wrote:

Reply to