OT- More Killed in California Than in War in Iraq!

Now that we have draged Ed into it....we can blame HIM...Yea, that's it! It's ED'S fault!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Gunner just got distracted. It could have been me, it could have been a machine tool that landed in his back yard...

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 19:39:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Gunner, old pal, we lost long before we left for Iraq or Afghanistan. We lost to Texas Oil and other big interests.

-- Instant Gratification Takes Too Long!

Non-Instant Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:03:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Uh, you're from JERSEY, ain'tcha boy? Bwahahahaha! You should talk. ;)

NO, NO, NO! Veggie prices are lower here due to the Central Valley produce. And I get lots of goodies via Ebay from CA. Leave 'em be!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lest the folks from the territories forget, we are one of the ORIGINAL 13 states. In other words, we're the United States of America, and they're only in here on good behavior.

Don't forget it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I see another area of weakness for you, Gunner, statistics. There are around

150,000 American troops in Iraq and 2,100 of them have been killed in a little over two years. There are around 35 million people living in California. So any way you slice it, the odds against a Californian being murdered is so much less than the chances of a soldier being killed in Iraq you can't even compare the two. One is statistically insignificant and the other is fairly high. If you don't know which is which you should get someone that knows about statistics to explain it to you.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I bet you think the Detroit Lions are a winning team too.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Hey Ed, please don't include NM in the deal. I don't want to become a foreigner. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 00:42:01 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

If youse is (Isn't that your Soprano terminology? I've never watched a minute of it.) the USA, we should have seceded long ago.

Heh, heh, heh. How could we?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I guess if I had to make a choice, I'd rather vacation in California than Iraq...although, I think it would be cheaper in Iraq and there are probably more people that speak english in Iraq.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I was just crunching some numbers, and this is what I come up with... if you find a flaw, please let me know.

California 2004 est. population: 35,893,799 California homicides 2004: 2,394

35,893,799 divided by 2394 = 14,993 Your chances of being murdered in California: 1 in 14,993

Troops in Iraq 2004: 152,000(est.): Troop deaths (Am + Br) 2004: 905

152,000 divided by 905 = 168 Your chances of being murdered in Iraq: 1 in 168 14,993 divided by 168 = 89.24

I would conclude that you are 89.24 times more likely to die in Iraq than California. Is this correct?

That is why articles likle this:

don't really impress me, for you are only getting half the information with a spin on it to minimize the actual risks and damage.

Ron

Reply to
doo

It would be correct if you said something like "more likely to die due to violence". There are plenty of old or sick people in California who die and the average death rate from natural causes is higher that for healthy men of armed forces.

They are grasping at straws. If they had something better to say, they would.

Ignoramus16375

OK, I see you are right... "89 times more likely to be murdered in Iraq.."

Ron

Reply to
doo

I figured we'd keep NM, Lew. We need a place to hunt javelina.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

As you know..Im on the road 4-5 days a week, when I get home usually about midnite on Friday nite..Im exhausted..then spend all weekend long doing Stuff that the "family" couldnt do..or wouldnt do. I tend to rush around, in little tight circles trying to put out brush fires of all sorts..and let far too much stuff fall through the cracks.

Its a charector/lifestyle flaw Im trying to deal with..but there isnt any good resolution in sight, unless I can find a way to make a living closer to home.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Actually..no we were not. WW2 lasted 4 yrs, and we put 6 million boots on the ground, with a nationwide effort.

Can you spot even the slightest bobble in our nation that we are currently at war? Other than the news?

Sure there is. And if you dont know what it is..you have been paying far far too much attention to Michael Moore and Co.

I saddened to see that in some things you are brilliant, but in geopolitics..you are unhealthily ignorant.

Try to be a little more aware of the situation, ok?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Sigh indeed. I was not aware you worshipped at the alter of Michael Moore. That line you spewed is straight from his propaganda..and is just as ignorant as can be.

You dont get out much, do you?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Actually..no its not correct. Include the number of Iraqis who are being murdered by the tangos..the population of Iraq is about

25,000,000

Its not just the US troops who are being murdered by the bad guys. Nor is it just the cops being murdered in California.

Now..if we can throw in all the aborted babies in California...

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You just made my point.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Technically, the Korean "Conflict" is just in "Pause Mode" - 50 years later.

The Occupation of Japan didn't end until after the start of the Korean "Conflict".

The Occupation of Germany lasted even longer.

We're still "occupying" bases in both countries - over 50 years later!

Care to try again, Jim?

Reply to
RAM^3