OT- More Killed in California Than in War in Iraq!

Thanks for making my point for me.

Btw..its around the 1 yr anniversery of the last time we heard from bin Ladin. Think he is still alive?

Or perhaps his dialysis machine finally packed up?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

They say one has a certain amount of allotted tasks in life. By this criterial..Im gonna live to be at least 1000.

Gunner, who is sick at home..trying to beat a bad cold... "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner Asch

I think we're all just waiting for that "Missouri Moment."

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

First you want to use the entire population of California..then compare it to a select group, ie the soldiers.

Talk about apples and oranges.

Now if you lads havent noticed..there is a war on. In wars, things get broken, people die or get maimed.

If you take the actual combat deaths that have occured in Iraq, not the vehicle rollovers, the drownings and so forth..we are still far below the 2000 KIA number, after 2+ yrs in Iraq. Its been estimated we are killing on average..3000 tangos per month. You will note the very few suicide bombers these days..and the reason is they have largely run out of folks willing to strap on a bomb and kill themselves with a group of people. Its an asysmetrical war of attrition..shrug..not one we have experienced before of this nature, an yes..mistakes have been made, and will continue to be made as the nature of the war changes.

Take the same group of males of the same age group, and compare their deaths here in the US through simply traffic accidents

Lets take a look, shall we?

From 1-4 the death rate per 100,000 people is 38.3 From 5- 14 the death rate per 100,000 people is 22 From 15- 24 the death rate per 100,000 people is 90.3 From 25- 44 the death rate per 100,000 people is 177.8 From 45- 64 the death rate per 100,000 people is 708 For people over 65 the death rate per 100,000 people is 5,071.40

Causes of Death Number of Deaths Rate per 100,000

15-24 years All causes 32,699 90.3 1 Accidents and adverse effects 13,872 38.3 . . . Motor vehicle accidents 10,624 29.3 . . . All other accidents and adverse effects 3,248 9 2 Homicide and legal intervention 6,548 18.1 3 Suicide 4,369 12.1 4 Malignant neoplasms, including neoplasms of lymphatic and hematopoietic tissues 1,642 4.5 5 Diseases of heart 920 2.5 6 Human immunodeficiency virus infection 420 1.2 7 Congenital anomalies 387 1.1 8 Chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases and allied conditions 230 0.6 9 Pneumonia and influenza 197 0.5 10 Cerebrovascular diseases 174 0.5 . . . All other causes (Residual) 3,940 10.9

Causes of Death Number of Deaths Rate per 100,000

25-44 years All causes 148,904 177.8 1 Accidents and adverse effects 26,554 31.7 . . . Motor vehicle accidents 14,528 17.3 . . . All other accidents and adverse effects 12,026 14.4 2 Human immunodeficiency virus infection 22,795 27.2 3 Malignant neoplasms, including neoplasms of lymphatic and hematopoietic tissues 22,147 26.4 4 Diseases of heart 16,261 19.4 5 Suicide 12,536 15 6 Homicide and legal intervention 9,261 11.1 7 Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis 4,230 5.1 8 Cerebrovascular diseases 3,418 4.1 9 Diabetes mellitus 2,520 3 10 Pneumonia and influenza 1,972 2.4 . . . All other causes (Residual) 27,210 32.5

Oh oh....in both age groups..which comprise the age range of troops in Iraq...it would appear that Pneumonia kils far more people in a single year, than we have killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in 2+ yrs of war.

Motor vehicle accidents kill more by an order of magnitude in a single year.

Homicides and legal interventions are 5x as high in the US in a single year, as total causalties from all causes in 2+ yrs of war in 2 combat zones..combat zones that freed 50,000,000 people

Oh oh....

"In the winter of 2004/05 (December to March) there were an estimated

31,600 more deaths in England and Wales compared to levels in the non-winter period (see definition below). This was an increase on the low numbers seen in the previous four years but was still less than was seen during the winter of 1999/2000, when there were 48,440 more deaths compared to levels in the non-winter period

The number of additional deaths occurring in winter varies depending on temperature and the level of disease in the population, as well as other factors."

Seems spending the winter in the UK is deadly. I strongly suggest our British cousins move.

Pull out of the UK now!!!!

And their death rates are horrific!!!! Even their homicide rates are orders larger than in Iraq

Do get a grip, wanker. You appear to be an utter buffoon. Better to not post on Usenet and be thought an idiot..than post and prove it.

GUnner "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner Asch

The turkey call is a box type and the dog-buts are clean...I ain't cleaning the crate!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The neat thing about our dog - he doesn't eat cookies - he hides them in corners and under stuff. He will eat small chunks, but half up size he won't. So I can point to one any time I need an excuse. Not often but available.

I don't know if he is bagging them for a poor day some day or what.

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

And you are still not including the murdered babies...by abortion.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You should take your own advice, the intelligence behind your line of reasoning puts you on a parallel with Bush's. (very low)

Reply to
John Kunkel

Gunner Asch wrote On 12/03/05 02:19,:

Differences between Kalifornia and Iraq:

  1. California has WAY MORE guns than Iraq.

2 Iraq has a population that is largely hostile to the current US administration. Ok, bad example....

  1. Iraq has a large number of armed insergents who shoot at anything with a uniform, and kill innocent civilians. In California, we have managed to contain that sort of thing to LA.

  1. Californa has a valuable export product that everyone wants. Iraq has... Ok, nuther bad example...

  2. Its harder to get into California from neighboring states.

  1. Iraq had a despot ruler who was deposed by force. Ok, so that one dosen't work either, shut up.

  2. Iraq has neighboring states that wish its destruction. Darn ! I think Nevada is ok with us.

  1. Finally, the two major warring parties in California are not armed. Ok, at least they aren't shooting at each other currently.

Reply to
Scott Moore

Clark Magnuson wrote On 12/03/05 11:39,:

That we need to send sick people to Iraq ?

Reply to
Scott Moore

Yes, he was a real one, that's for sure. Not some nazi-come-lately.

Interestingly that link you provided had as one of its conclusions that he attempted to circumvent the Geneva Convention.

I think today our own government would give him a medal for that.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Oddly that is sort of where the film fell apart, isn't it.

He was being a rather gracious host (especially given the circumstances) and really the two of them did not have that much of a fundamental disagreement. Yet moore belabored his 'points' badly and undermined the credible part of the film.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Here's another tour group leisurely walking down Rodeo Drive.

Ron

Reply to
doo

One reason would be that Germany declared war on the US on December 11th,

1941...
Geoff M

LOL. "Those who forget history, are doomed to.... post about it on usenet!"

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Reply to
rigger

And my wife - a History major - just shook her head and tanks Geoff for the www page. One issue she has seen is schools skip over very important subjects for several reasons :

  1. time (mostly not used correctly)
  2. Liberalism - want to rewrite that part next year - so we won't talk this year...
  3. Never understood it in the first place - damn if I'll let the nippers learn more.

Martin :-) Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

jim rozen wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Actually it was the Japanese Foreign Minister and the Japanese Chief of the Army General Staff, who signed the surrender document on Mighty Mo. I had a relative on board for the signing.

Funnily, last Friday, I was on board at Pearl Harbor, having a look around. The area of the signing is devoted to the documentation of the surrender. On a metal context, the helmsman's battle station would make the "Panic Room" of all panic rooms with walls and door at least 12 inches thick.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I stand corrected there, I should have known that hirohito would not have made the trip to be there. Apparently it was incredibly tough to get a 'ticket' to witness that ceremony on the deck.

Your relative was a truly lucky man.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Actually luck had nothing to do with it, he had distinguished himself as a Corps Commander in the Burma campaign. As for luck, he lost both sons in WWII.

Tom

Reply to
Tom