OT- More Killed in California Than in War in Iraq!

wrote in message news:crtkf.883

a machine tool that landed in his back yard...
-- Ed Huntress
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 00:14:49 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

As you know..Im on the road 4-5 days a week, when I get home usually about midnite on Friday nite..Im exhausted..then spend all weekend long doing Stuff that the "family" couldnt do..or wouldnt do. I tend to rush around, in little tight circles trying to put out brush fires of all sorts..and let far too much stuff fall through the cracks.
Its a charector/lifestyle flaw Im trying to deal with..but there isnt any good resolution in sight, unless I can find a way to make a living closer to home.
Gunner

Have you ever thought of inventing a hat with a built-in fire extinguisher, to shut down all those times you're runnign around with your hair on fire?
I might buy one if you do that.
Jim (who has a sick cat at home)
please reply to:

They say one has a certain amount of allotted tasks in life. By this criterial..Im gonna live to be at least 1000.

Gunner, who is sick at home..trying to beat a bad cold... "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.
No no - Ed is not the Dog!
It is the Dogs fault. It is always that ratty little dog.
Ed Huntress wrote:

-

Dogs don't get NEARLY enough blame, even factoring in displaced flatulence and missing cookies..they lead the privileged life. If there's such a thing as reincarnation...but, I'd probably end up running the Iditarod.
Dog annoyance update: It seems that they hate the turkey call...at least for a while, they run and hide in their crate. I WIN!!!
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:37:50 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

So did you give them some well placed peanut butter before blowing th' turkey call? You know, give th' little darlings something to do while they're in th' cage <g>.
Snarl

The turkey call is a box type and the dog-buts are clean...I ain't cleaning the crate!
The neat thing about our dog - he doesn't eat cookies - he hides them in corners and under stuff. He will eat small chunks, but half up size he won't. So I can point to one any time I need an excuse. Not often but available.
I don't know if he is bagging them for a poor day some day or what.
Tom Gardner wrote:

-
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:03:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

Uh, you're from JERSEY, ain'tcha boy? Bwahahahaha! You should talk. ;)

NO, NO, NO! Veggie prices are lower here due to the Central Valley produce. And I get lots of goodies via Ebay from CA. Leave 'em be!
--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.

Lest the folks from the territories forget, we are one of the ORIGINAL 13 states. In other words, we're the United States of America, and they're only in here on good behavior.
Don't forget it. <g>
-- Ed Huntress
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 00:42:01 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

If youse is (Isn't that your Soprano terminology? I've never watched a minute of it.) the USA, we should have seceded long ago.

Heh, heh, heh. How could we? <g>
--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
Ed Huntress wrote:

Hey Ed, please don't include NM in the deal. I don't want to become a foreigner. :-) ...lew...

sad
I figured we'd keep NM, Lew. We need a place to hunt javelina.
-- Ed Huntress
If we have 150,000 troops for 2 years and get 2,000 deaths, the death rate is .5%/year for US soldiers in Iraq. The death rate for all Americans in the US is 1.5%.
Is being a soldier in Iraq 3 times as safe as being in the US? No, the anomaly is caused by sending such healthy Americans to Iraq.
What does it all mean? Iraq is mission accomplished in terms of war. It is a police action now.
The US has never had it's share of death from AIDs, Stalin, etc.: http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/american%20war%20casualty.htm
--
Accidental creation should not be taught as a fact.
Intelligent creation should not be banned from teachings as
Clark Magnuson wrote On 12/03/05 11:39,:

That we need to send sick people to Iraq ?

DUH!!! 2,400 out of 35,000,000 killed compared to 905 out of 120,000; and the deaths weren't the direct result of an unwarranted invasion. Only the demented could see a parallel.

I see another area of weakness for you, Gunner, statistics. There are around 150,000 American troops in Iraq and 2,100 of them have been killed in a little over two years. There are around 35 million people living in California. So any way you slice it, the odds against a Californian being murdered is so much less than the chances of a soldier being killed in Iraq you can't even compare the two. One is statistically insignificant and the other is fairly high. If you don't know which is which you should get someone that knows about statistics to explain it to you.
Hawke

I guess if I had to make a choice, I'd rather vacation in California than Iraq...although, I think it would be cheaper in Iraq and there are probably more people that speak english in Iraq.

I was just crunching some numbers, and this is what I come up with... if you find a flaw, please let me know.
California 2004 est. population: 35,893,799 California homicides 2004: 2,394
35,893,799 divided by 2394 = 14,993 Your chances of being murdered in California: 1 in 14,993
Troops in Iraq 2004: 152,000(est.): Troop deaths (Am + Br) 2004: 905
152,000 divided by 905 = 168 Your chances of being murdered in Iraq: 1 in 168
14,993 divided by 168 = 89.24
I would conclude that you are 89.24 times more likely to die in Iraq than California. Is this correct?
That is why articles likle this: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_IDG680 don't really impress me, for you are only getting half the information with a spin on it to minimize the actual risks and damage.
Ron