OT: Network Cable organizer

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm only anal when I can afford to be.....and at the prices of the things from Mcmaster I can be anal...

I also know upper management, I'll get a request for something stupid like "I'm flipping my office 180 degrees, can you move the net connection so it wont be in my view when I sit down? Oh and I need it this afternoon." Now I'll just have to give his line a good yank and I can pop it out of its holders and just tack up a few new ones pointing at the new hole in the floor snap it in place and be good to go instead of cutting apart a batch of cables and fighting with everything.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

66 blocks don't maintain the required spacing/twist for even fast ethernet. There's no point in installing cat6 cabling and using blocks made phones. 110 blocks are suitable most networking stuff.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The normal method is to run a new cable, not to remove stuff that was already installed and working.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Agreed. Life is too short to stuff around - what are the chances you, or the business, will be there in 5 years (minimal) - and running new cable is easy, cheap, and quick. Eventually, there will be so much cable in the roof it will collapse (if its a suspended ceiling) - but thats cool, clean it out for scrap and thats your beer money......

Stuff neatness - you aint being paid to do that, you are being paid to get the job done.

And as for the mechanics - yes, a tone set is invaluable, as are 20ft lengths of 15mm plastic pipe for rodding across ceilings, and 6 ft lengths of same for "spears" for same, and "yellow tongue" (the joining strip for particle board flooring) for running up cavities..... and fishing sinkers and builders string line for mousing, and and and.......

Running cable is a manual skill, its not rocket science, and crimp guns have taken any skill out of it....and its a dirty, rotten job, so who gives a stuff about what it looks like - management types dont know/dont care. Save your best work for those who will apprecaite it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA