OT Never get hit by a truck

My wife and I were on the way to the Jersey Shore last Friday. Traffic on rt476 stopped, I stopped, the Freightliner behind me didn't. Spent
about 6 hours in the ER, both me and my wife. I got a broken collar bone and my wife is black and blue and sore everywhere.
Truck pushed our Kia Sportage into 3 more cars in front of us, our airbags went off, the others did not. Sportage is a total. I'm stuck in a sling for 6 weeks. This is the first major accident I was ever in, a few fender benders before but nothing like this.
my advice, never get hit by a truck.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
On 9/20/2014 8:50 AM, Randy333 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your trouble, I'm sure your not happy with the accident, but be thankful it wasn't much worse. Hug the wife and tell your glad she's safe.
I got rear ended years ago, I was the fourth car out of five in the chain reaction. When I got hit, it drove my seat back to the end of it's travel, I had a razor on a shelf under the dash and it slid off and started buzzing. I was shocked and very confused and I could not understand the buzzing noise, about the time I became aware of things, I looked up to see the young lady whose car I hit standing in front of me looking her car, then she giving me a dirty look, got back in her car and left. I don't think she realized I was pushed into her. Their was a mail truck in the line, he was acting injured, although, I suspect he was putting on the disability performance of his life. Mikek

My cousin's daughter and her fiance got stopped by construction on Hwy 288 heading north toward Houston when a truck rear ended them without ever slowing down. Obviously, they were both dead. I don't remember whether or not the truck had brakes. This was just after NAFTA passed, and the truck was out of Mexico.
Pete Keillor

Randy-I know what it is like to get hit by a truck. Head on. I feel your pain, so to speak. Those air bags are good stuff. I hope you and your wife feel better soon. Make sure your next car has air bags too. They sure save a lot of lives and prevent a lot of injuries. Eric
Randy333 wrote:

My advice , get a GOOD lawyer . Especially of the at-fault driver is insured by Allstate , because they will bend you over and screw you in a heartbeat , and you won't even get a kiss . I ended up with a few thousand bucks and a back that will hurt for the rest of my life because I had a lousy lawyer . I believe they would have screwed me on the bike too , if my insco hadn't paid me for that (um/uim coverage is a very good thing) and then billed them .
--
Snag

The nick in the auto repair industry for a certain insurance company is AllSnake. Agreed, get a good lawyer.

Yes, coverage is very important. It's those little extras that save your arse every time.
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles

Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Randy333 wrote:

Busted ribs suck...
--
Steve W.

Do not be nice and be sure to get a lot of extra $$$$$ to pay for future health bills.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:50:52 -0500, Ignoramus27138

Ditto that, and, whatever you do, do NOT sign any waivers, even if they offer you a million dollars. If they even consider offering that much, you'll surely need quadruple that to survive the rest of your lives.
--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.

In PA coverage extends to 4 years from the accident. Remove 333 to reply. Randy
I am sorry to hear this. Glad you are OK.
Your advice to never be hit by a truck is a good one.
May I also add another advise, if you do get hit, get hit by a commercial truck, they have a mandated $750,000 liability policy.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:58:47 -0500, Ignoramus25485

Any commercial vehicle running with less than 2 million liability is under-insured.
On 9/20/2014 8:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Last I knew, the minimum required in Florida is $10,000. Just looked it up, Florida    PD Liab, PIP    10/20/102 So, if you get the minimum, you're screwing yourself if you really get messed up. Mikek

Compulsory minimum 3rd party liability in Ontario is $200,000 for a private vehicle. Most commercial vehicle policies written at the brokerage where I do IT work is $1 million, with a large percentage of the rest being $2 million. In order to use a vehicle to transport kids for school events, local boards are requiring proof of $2 million coverage.