OT Never get hit by a truck

My wife and I were on the way to the Jersey Shore last Friday. Traffic on rt476 stopped, I stopped, the Freightliner behind me didn't. Spent about 6 hours in the ER, both me and my wife. I got a broken collar bone and my wife is black and blue and sore everywhere.

Truck pushed our Kia Sportage into 3 more cars in front of us, our airbags went off, the others did not. Sportage is a total. I'm stuck in a sling for 6 weeks. This is the first major accident I was ever in, a few fender benders before but nothing like this.

my advice, never get hit by a truck.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Sorry to hear about your trouble, I'm sure your not happy with the accident, but be thankful it wasn't much worse. Hug the wife and tell your glad she's safe.

I got rear ended years ago, I was the fourth car out of five in the chain reaction. When I got hit, it drove my seat back to the end of it's travel, I had a razor on a shelf under the dash and it slid off and started buzzing. I was shocked and very confused and I could not understand the buzzing noise, about the time I became aware of things, I looked up to see the young lady whose car I hit standing in front of me looking her car, then she giving me a dirty look, got back in her car and left. I don't think she realized I was pushed into her. Their was a mail truck in the line, he was acting injured, although, I suspect he was putting on the disability performance of his life. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Randy-I know what it is like to get hit by a truck. Head on. I feel your pain, so to speak. Those air bags are good stuff. I hope you and your wife feel better soon. Make sure your next car has air bags too. They sure save a lot of lives and prevent a lot of injuries. Eric

Reply to
etpm

My advice , get a GOOD lawyer . Especially of the at-fault driver is insured by Allstate , because they will bend you over and screw you in a heartbeat , and you won't even get a kiss . I ended up with a few thousand bucks and a back that will hurt for the rest of my life because I had a lousy lawyer . I believe they would have screwed me on the bike too , if my insco hadn't paid me for that (um/uim coverage is a very good thing) and then billed them .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My cousin's daughter and her fiance got stopped by construction on Hwy

288 heading north toward Houston when a truck rear ended them without ever slowing down. Obviously, they were both dead. I don't remember whether or not the truck had brakes. This was just after NAFTA passed, and the truck was out of Mexico.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I am sorry to hear this. Glad you are OK.

Your advice to never be hit by a truck is a good one.

May I also add another advise, if you do get hit, get hit by a commercial truck, they have a mandated $750,000 liability policy.

Ignoramus25485

The nick in the auto repair industry for a certain insurance company is AllSnake. Agreed, get a good lawyer.

Yes, coverage is very important. It's those little extras that save your arse every time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Any commercial vehicle running with less than 2 million liability is under-insured.

Reply to
clare

The trucking co is self insured. PA is a no fault state, so my company pays the medical bills. Spent all of last Monday on the phone with insurance people. seems everyone wanted to talk to me.

This truck had brakes, heard squealing tires just before all hell broke loose. He said he was doing about 50 mph and he thinks his brakes did not slow him down much at all.

Getting about 1700 more than we owe on the car so we have a down payment on the new car.

Wife was back in the hospital again, this time they confirmed several broken ribs, she's in more pain then me. My arm is fine as long as I keep it in the sling or straight down by my side.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Last I knew, the minimum required in Florida is $10,000. Just looked it up, Florida PD Liab, PIP 10/20/102 So, if you get the minimum, you're screwing yourself if you really get messed up. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Compulsory minimum 3rd party liability in Ontario is $200,000 for a private vehicle. Most commercial vehicle policies written at the brokerage where I do IT work is $1 million, with a large percentage of the rest being $2 million. In order to use a vehicle to transport kids for school events, local boards are requiring proof of $2 million coverage.

Reply to
clare

Busted ribs suck...

Reply to
Steve W.

Do not be nice and be sure to get a lot of extra $$$$$ to pay for future health bills.

Ignoramus27138

Ditto that, and, whatever you do, do NOT sign any waivers, even if they offer you a million dollars. If they even consider offering that much, you'll surely need quadruple that to survive the rest of your lives.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In PA coverage extends to 4 years from the accident. Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333