OT: New scam hits me for $3500

My bank was sold to another bank early in the year and we received new account numbers and new checks. Somehow, somebody used an old account number and created a way to use electronic checks or home-brew paper checks and went on a spending spree through little towns 100 miles South of us at places like "Home Depot" and "Sheets" to the tune of $3,500. We won't be out the money, the vendors are. I hope they have video and/or DL info. and will go after this guy. One of the bank guys said that people use phone cameras to capture checks you write at stores and credit cards. I wouldn't doubt that scanners exist that can pull information off of magnetic strips on credit cards while still in your wallet! Or, read the magnetic ink on checks. I do use a company credit card but it's a separate account and we only transfer money into the account for a particular purchase and we never use checks for local vendors. The payroll is a completely different account too. I can't figure out how they got the information or a company check to build the scam on.

I sure can't afford a hit like that and thank God my bank is on the ball. I'm just starting to see this recession hit my product line with Chinese imports are targeting products that I thought were safe from them. My lawyer says it's impossible to fight patent infringement by the Chinese, I just LOVE my government! I thought that niche was way too small to attract any attention and the technology is a bitch to reinvent the wheel. So much for early retirement! Oh well, back-burner projects have been promoted and I get to build new machinery and make new products! Two of which will use PLCs, servos, steppers and all sorts of new-to-me stuff.

Be vigilant! People ARE going to find new scams.

Reply to
Buerste

Sure is annoying. I got hit for 2200 bucks last year. The bank tried calling one of the vendors to warn them about a bad charge that likely hadn't even left their shipping dock but the idiot answering the phone was a freaking jerk. Go figure, Harley shop.

Wes

Wes

So far, nobody has figured out how to read a magnetic stripe or ink characters without physical contact. What you are reading the stories about is where a RF link is involved. This requires a little electronic circuit, not just a magnetic pattern on something.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Yes, RFIDs are in more and more credit-cards these days.

Reply to
Dave__67

Hell, back in 1982-4 time frame, a company in Spokane, Wa. was selling bank teller terminals that scanned the checks and picked out the MICR code line without using any magnetic reading. First test bank was Bank of Spokane. I wrote the programs to interface the terminals to a Data General mini through an Apple II+ communications front-end processor.

The terminals were pulled on the first day when they discovered they could not read the payroll checks from a large local employer. There was some kind of cross-hatching and color on the checks that confused the software in the terminals. There were hundreds of customers bringing in those checks.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

See the story in today's newspapers about the hacking of the check image storage facilities. The stored images have been downloaded by hackers and the images used to create new checks complete with valid signatures.

Also see the new Chase Bank ads showing newlyweds setting on a bed scanning checks and depositing them using their cell phone camera.

Crazy world!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Don't see anything on line about this. Got links?

Reply to
cavelamb

USAA bank has Deposit@Home.. sign and scan your check to deposit..

tnik

RBnDFW

"Creative check counterfeiters hack into storage website"

Interesting, thanks for the info/tip.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Better link...

cavelamb

I know that Chase ATM's just accept a check, OCR it, ask you if the amount is correct and deposit it to your account. Pretty neat.

Wes

Reply to
Wes