OT: New scam to hijack cars

Gang, My son forwarded this to me... wouldn't be a bad idea for the ladies of the group to be aware....Sorry for the OT, but I think it could be valuable information. Ken.

Be aware of new car-jacking scheme Imagine: You >walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. Then you >lock all your doors, start the engine and shift into REVERSE, and you >look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space and you >notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you >shift into PARK, unlock your doors and jump out of your car to remove >that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view... When you >reach the back of your car that is when the car-jackers appear out of >nowhere, jump into your car and take off!! Your engine was running, >(ladies would have their purse in the >car) and they practically mow you down as they speed off in your car. BE >AWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED. Just drive away and >remove the paper that is stuck to your window later, and be thankful >that you read this email. I hope you will forward this to friends and >family...especially to women! A purse contains all identification, and >you certainly do NOT want someone getting your home address. They >already HAVE your keys! This scheme has been reported to have occurred >in the states of Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Michigan We are >asking that residents of major cities within these states be mindful >when traveling.
Reply to
Ken Sterling

Jeff R.

Might also be a good idea to check the windows (and tires) BEFORE you get into the car.

Reply to
Nick Hull

security patrols in their parking lots.

Reply to
Ahernwill

Local utilities (OH) used to push having their drivers complete the "Circle of Safety" before entering their vehicle to move it _any_ distance, even a few feet.

This was just a simple walkaround to check for obstructions, pedestrians or kids that might enter the vehicle's path, and to visually check tires and lights.

Might even spot that piece of paper that snopes says doesn't exist. :)

Seemed like a good idea to me. so I added it to my driving habits.

It's a little surprising just how large an area one cannot see ahead of or behind a vehicle from the driver's seat. One can easily miss a small child up to 21 feet or farther behind most minivans, for example. Forward view is better, but there's still a blind spot several feet long in front.

The mirrors? Unless you have west coasters and convex spot mirrors, fagettaboutit! They're even worse.

Reply to
Johan

Interesting. Circle of safety for the company against the liability of you hitting someone or something.

If someone is lurking to do me harm, the last thing I want to do is walk all the way around the car.

mike

Reply to
mike

Any time you see the above words, it is probably better that you don't.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

Around here the utility companies figured they saved a bundle with the 'circle of safety' thing just because it cut down on lost tools.

--RC

You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

Reply to
rcook5

Take a look at what Snopes has to say about this.

some.one

I do, however, believe this is a very possible situation - regardless of Snopes' evaluation. In todays world - ya just can't let your guard down, and anything that helps you stay just a little ahead of the game can't hurt. I would rather be just a bit paranoid than sorry.....I mean really, now if my wife had just gotten into her vehicle and was starting to back out of the space, chances are she'll remember this "story" and continue doing what she initiated - and remove the note/flyer at a later time... May not be anything - but *could* be everything.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Please read my reply to the same thread - above.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

I know. It is also possible that creative gangs of carjackers use bands of monkeys, bananas and actors dressed as terrorists. It works something like this. The carjackers put bananas on the hood of the car. Then they let the monkeys loose to go sit on the car and eat the bananas. The monkeys throw the peels on the ground. The unsuspecting driver comes out, and shoos the monkeys away and gets into the car. Enter stage left, the actors dressed as desert nomad terrorists. They shoot around, mostly in the air. The monkeys panic and shit all over the place, but mostly on the ground. The frightened driver jumps out of the car and slips on the banana peels and monkeyshit, and the carjackers then run up and take the car.

It could happen. Just remember it. It may not be anything - but it *could* be everything.

Do these sinister ploys have no end?

Remember where you heard it first.

Steve, the reincarnation of Edgar Cayce

Reply to
SteveB

Chuckle.... see

we know who you are.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

One that worked a few times around here. Two perps; male and female. They find a disabled vehicle sitting unattended on the side of the freeway. Female gets out and stands next to disabled car (looking quite helpless) while male circles around and waits up the road a half mile or so.

When a good samaritan stops to help, she engages him in conversation (and cleavage display) until her partner can drive up behind the samaritan's car. He gets out and persuades the samaritan (at gunpoint) to involuntarily loan his car to the female. They leave him standing next to the disabled car looking helpless.

Reply to
Andy Asberry