OT - Norstar 3x8 phone system question

Hi Group,

Please indulge the off topic question, but you folks are so helpful, I would be remiss if I did not pose this question to the group. Hopefully you folks can set me straight. The prior owner of our home had installed a fancy phone system (Norstar 3x8 DR5 system). 3 years have gone by and I would like to finally add our second line to the system. Each year I go downstairs and look over the wiring, but it never becomes less daunting.

We are serviced with analog lines, and the system is already set up one phone line, and a doorbell speaker... so it is using 2 (of the three) lines.

I guess what I am looking for, is some sort of technical wiring diagram? Also, so guidance as to how to add the line to the phone system.

I "think" that I have a game plan for the wiring side of the job... but not THAT confident! If anyone has helpful, constructive comments, I am all ears!

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Here's a link to a manual on your system. Don't ask me why it's so horribly long or how to get it into your browser.

Jim Stewart

The above URL worked fine for me, but here is a shorter one that I think takes you to the same place:

Unfortunately the above is the customer's manual and not the installer's manual. Usually systems of that class simply have a modular plug for each line and all you have to do is plug in. If you would like an answer from someone who really knows, go to comp.dcom.telecom.tech and ask there.

Unless you want to do something fancy, programming should not be an issue, these systems come programmed from the factory "square", that means that all line are on all phones.

Good luck Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

Your 3x8 system, indicates 3 CO lines and 8 stations (phones) capacity. You can add one more CO (outside line). Many of these small key systems would allow you to dedicate a station port with a proper door/call box instead of using a CO line port. Im not particularly familiar with Nortel products, but here is their home page.

Look for a jack marked CO3 on the KSU (key service unit or the brain box for those in Rio Linda ) for the next available phone line. If the installer used default programming, that port should be active. If not..then things get a bit more complicated..Class of service programming, autopickup, etc etc all may need to be programmed..and programming some of them is a PITA unless you are intimately familiar with that particular system.

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

Excellent advise all...thank you.

Gunner, that makes perfect sense, and I did find an open line marked '3' on the brain box. It looks like they just have a regular phone cable running from the main analog incoming line from outside, to the brain box for phone line #1, and then a line coming from the doorbell speaker box to line #2. I guess my fear now is that the system will need special programming (like you said) to recognize the new line. OK, I've built up the courage, off I go to find out.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

OK... some results.

I wired the new phone line into the brain box, at the connection labeled Line 3. Took the cell phone and called that number. To my surprise, one of the 4 phones in the house started to ring. It was lite up on the "intercom" button, and the display on that particular phone said "Line 03 to prime". I selected the intercom button, and the call went thru.

So now, in my glee, I proceeded to check the other 3 phones, but none of them would ring, or even lite up on the display that a call was coming in.

SO...I guess the phone that would ring, must be designated as some kind of "main" , or default phone.

I guess this indicates some further programming is required for the rest of the phones to recognize the new line... any thoughts there?

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Do you have the users manual? Its possible..possible that Night Call or Night Transfer has been turned on, and not turned off.

This feature is say..for a factory for example, that closes the offices at 5pm. When the front office girl leaves, she punches a couple buttons and turns on Night Transfer/night Call and all the calls now are directed to the security guard shack. In the morning, when she comes in, she turns off this feature, and all the phones then act normal again. This often blocks access to phones thoughout the facility so employees cannot make unauthorized calls afterhours.

However..I suspect you will need to get the programming guide and select COS (class of service) Ringing, etc etc for the stations that are not able to use line 3. Ive seen installation companies do this in order to get a service call in the future. Shitty shitty..but some do it anyways.

Like alarm companies that program in a locking code to prevent another cheaper alarm company from coming in and letting the customer change to another monitoring service, even though the customer owns the box. I have two control panels that are locked out like this that I could use, but it requires sending them to the distributor for a fee, to unlock them.

Gunner

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

Ahh, many thanks for your participation in this Mr. Gunner,

I do indeed have a "user manual" and noted a few things over the last hour of investigation.

  1. The manual indicates it if no other lines will accept a call, the "prime" phone set will ring. I suspect this is what is meant by the display reading "line 03 to prime".
  2. I do have the password, and am "somewhat" familiar with COS, and it seems to be the route to go to solve the rest of this project.

One question. I am ass-u-me(ing) that no further wiring needs to be done down at the main connections, other than the wire that I plugged into the Line 3 port on the brain box... would that be correct?

I cannot access the dial tone for the new line, which makes some sense seeing as I have not designated a "line" button on the phone for "line 3".

Thanks again, and if you feel any other items of interest may bear fruit, please don't hesitate in adding them,

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

If it works on one station (probably station 10 or zero) then its likely that you are good to go as far as any wiring is concerned, and its now a programming matter.

I ran a communications/security/data company for 15 yrs as tech services manager.. Shug. I still keep Comdial, TIE and a couple other manufactures manuals in my truck, along with punch down tools, butt set etc. Every so often a machine tool customer will need a station moved or a feature changed, or a network/cable modified. Every little bit helps in theres financially Challenging times...sigh

One of the things to check for in your manual..before starting to make program changes..is to see if there is a KSU reset code. If you screw the pooch while programming..often there is a way to reset to factory default which is generally Square programming..or everything works at a basic minimum. Might loose the door box which would need to be reprogrammed, depending on its COS.

Someday Ill have a key system in my house. I like the intercomm/speaker phone options most have and the music on hold/background music. It will either be a Comdial or a Vodavi. Pretty good stuff that I know well, and Comdial, while a PITA to program..is bullet proof and the phones are tough as hell.

Anyone ever find a Comdial system collecting dust. with 4-6 stations..we can do some trading. 3x8 would be fine.

Gunner

Gunner...just plain Gunner, no Sir, no Mr. Just Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks for the advise Gunner... I won the battle.. had to go into CONFIG, not ADMIN to alter the line status... All up and running now.. it is GREAT!

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

My pleasure.

Gunner

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important." -- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960

Reply to
Gunner