OT: NRA special offers?

Is anybody else getting a load of spam offers from the NRA for wine collections ("Dear NRA Wine Lover...2005 The Acrobat Mendocino County Malbec...Normally a Bordeaux blending variety, this Malbec is a star in its own right, offering notes of sandalwood, cherry, red berry compote, dried herbs and pepper...), life insurance, "Hosted PBX and SIP Trunking Services," etc.?

What the heck are they doing down there? Are they going Macy's Department Store on us?

They should stick to things like "Stumpknocker 2007, with notes of Hoppe's No. 9 and deer urine..."

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I hate to say it, Ed, but it seems they are renting the membership lists. I don't recall if they have a block to check concerning their using your name or not, but suspect they did some where along the way. Of course, they'd say offers they thought you'd be interested in or something. I don't read most of the mailings they send me, but I don't always delete them. Let's see...

11/4 -- Insurance

10/7 (hadn't read) NRA Store -- Things you just can't do without like $50 silver rounds and $17.00 ball caps, etc.

09/23 -- NRA store again -- MUST HAVES like $11 coffee mugs, $15 ball caps, $16 t-shirts, etc.

Answer your question? ;-) I didn't see the one about wine right then but it may have come.

Hit your delete key a few times....like I need to do!

They're not the only ones. I belong to a social club that sends out insurance offers, etc. Want to bet they're making a bit off the things you decide to buy? ... or getting it up front in the rental of the mail list.

Al

===========

Ed Huntress wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

Ah. Brings back memories of the Lower Forty and Ol' Stumpblower.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Ed,

They may be having some problems in the office as well. Don't know what's happening. I was thinking their office is in VA, but I kept getting correspondence from FL. Let me back track a bit.

I've probably been an NRA member sometime during the last sixty plus years, but can't remember when. In June, 2008, I joined the NRA as an EPL member. (That's an Extended Pay Life member. You join and agree to pay about $325 at a rate of $25 per quarter for 13 quarters.) I was to get a magazine of choice as a part of the membership (package) but was able to also get the other magazine for like $9.95 extra. My first check was $34.95 and was for the first quarter's membership payment plus 9.95 for the American Hunter for one year, as I had selected the American Rifleman as my primary / free magazine. Several times I got a bill demanding payment for that second magazine and sending it IMMEDIATELY back to them with a full explanation scrawled on the back of the letter or card did no good.

I finally called the (? 800) number to the VA office and told them how well I had gotten along for over 60 years without ever having been a member and threatening to just drop everything and continue as before. Some very helpful individual assured me that THEY would take care of it - and did. Even though I had gotten their packet which very clearly stated I was an EPL member someone had apparently forgotten to forward that 9.95 to the publisher of the magazines for the extra mag I had subscribed to.

Again, the VA office took care of it, over the phone, but the FL correspondence was to no avail at all. I told them they could keep everything I'd paid and if I owed them more I'd gladly pay the difference to just forget it all. Anyway, it is taken care of and my 3rd of 13 payments is due in December, which brings up something else. They sent a letter requesting that I go ahead and pay the 2nd QUARTERLY payment - while it was fresh on my mind - just about 20 days after I mailed my first of 13 payments! That helpful party in the office said something like, "I know. It's a form letter."

CHEERS! Welcome to the REAL world. :-) I'll probably drop one of the magazines after the first yr. Articles are different, but the ads seem to be the very same.

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

That's where I cribbed it from.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Hmm. It sounds like their fulfillment house is fouled up pretty bad. That's probably why you're getting correspondence from Florida -- fulfillment likely is contracted out, and there are some big fulfillment houses in Florida (and in Colorado).

That kind of thing is a big headache in the magazine business. My first staff job at McGraw-Hill was managing foreign circulation on their magazines, and I had an outside contractor handling fulfillment on one of them (33 Magazine, their steel industry publication). It was a nightmare keeping correspondence from overlapping.

So I'm inclined to be sympathetic with them, although there really is no excuse for it today, with real-time and online computing.

Oh, yes, ads for AR and AH probably are sold as a twofer. That's common practice, too.

What do you think of the hatchet job they did on Obama over the last few months?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That's what I've been doing. The "Dear NRA wine lover" piece had me rolling on the floor, however. I'm waiting for the "NRA brie lover" mailing ("And a collection of ripe, village Camemberts, the perfect accompaniment to that roast haunch of elk.") d8-)

No doubt. Wayne LaPierre has to support his $920,000/year income, after all.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 05:04:20 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

Har!

I'd figure that they're doing both.

P.S: That book, _Ricochet_, never did show up here, Ed. Are you sure you mailed it after discovering that your son had left it in your wife's trunk? It seems like it's been months...again.

-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. -- Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Reply to
Larry Jaques

AARP did that to me. Joined and paid in June, just got my permanent card, and they want me to cough up next year's dues to get the sticker that validates the card. GRRRR.......

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I haven't so far and I've been a life member since 1987.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Well, then, maybe Al is right. Maybe they asked us to opt out or something. I only re-upped a couple of years ago, so you may not have encountered it.

It's kind of funny, if you noticed the promo above for Acrobat Mendocino County Malbec, for all of us NRA wine lovers. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I don't remember any opt in or out. I always thought the NRA to be protective of their members lists for obvious reasons. If they have rented them out, a leadership change needs to be made immediately.

That went over my head Ed. When I drink wine, it is Boones Farm and diet 7up or Mad Dog and 7up. I'm not into fine wines. Maybe fine whines if it strikes my fancy. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

========== No wine offers, but I did get a VOIP IT solicitation by email (see below). I also got the usual Xmas catalog by mail. [Life member]

------ plain text follows --------- NRA Endorsed Business Telecom Solutions*

GLOBALINX(R) Provides Business VoIP Telecommunications Solutions Including Hosted PBX and SIP Trunking Services

Plans start at $19.95 Per Month (A variety of pricing plans are available)

Call 1-888-NRA-RING (1-888-672-7464)

At TalkNRA.com You Save Today & Support the NRA!

GLOBALINX(R) Changing the Way the World Communicates.

*A Percentage of the Monthly Bill is Received by the NRA to Help Support Your 2nd Amendment Rights.

National Rifle Association * 11250 Waples Mill Road * Fairfax, VA

22030

---------------

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:39:14 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

Would someone PLEASE start handing out the special Cool-Aid so they find their rapture?

Oh, send some to the Middle East as well, please. There are 72 Virginians^H^H^H^Hs waiting for each of them, too.

pic.

-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. -- Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, I got one of those, too. 'Can't wait to see what's next.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, Obama was NOT the one who refused to swear his oath of allegiance on a/the Bible. He was sworn in to office as a senator on a Bible. There are pictures of his swearing in, and he didn't use a Quran.

There was no Quran involved. In fact, Obama brought and used his own Bible.

of Allegiance

Ahh.. referring to mis-labelled you-tube videos again? Obama, and Clinton were in a picture where they faced the camera, with their backs to the flag. Clinton had her hand over her heart. Obama didn't.

But it wasn't the pledge of allegiance. It was the national-anthem. The hand-over-the-heart isn't a rule nor an official tradition for civilians. It's really just for military folk.

You don't always face the flag in the national-anthem (Hillary didn't, nor did anyone else on the stage, like Bill Richardson the state governor, and Ruth Harkin).

So, can you FIND a picture of them with their back to the flag during the pledge?

We could always use these smear campaigns of half-truths like... Christians WORSHIP a convicted death-row felon as their GOD! While that's technically based on what might very well be true, it's inflammatory, misleading and predjudicial. As propaganda, it's wonderfully effective, because people who harbor some bigotted biases find these rumours and innuendos to add a certain gravitas to their superstitions.

Reply to
urillan