OT - One for Gunner

Hey Gunner, you'll love this one. Somebody should tell that guy if a buglar breaks into a gun owners home he gets his ass blown away. Then call the police. After all the buglar was in the way of getting to the phone.

Internet ScamBusters (tm) The #1 Publication on Internet Fraud

By Audri and Jim Lanford C o p y r i g h t (c) 2004 Audri and Jim Lanford. All rights reserved. Issue #72 February 18, 2004

This month we're going to do something quite different than anything we've done before -- something we think you'll find very valuable.

Today's topic is: What to do if a burglar breaks into your home.

We've done an exclusive interview with an expert on the topic, Chris McGoey. It includes a lot of very surprising information.

In addition, we conclude with two interesting Internet ScamBusters Snippets.

Note: Easily change your subscription information by clicking the link at the very bottom of this newsletter.

Before we get going, though, we wanted to let you know about two new Mini-Courses we recently created. You can learn more and subscribe free:

"8 Ways to Avoid the Biggest Party-Hosting Mistakes" This new 8-part email course is devoted to helping you host great parties -- while avoiding the common mistakes so many party givers make. Visit: ==>

"How to Create Beautiful Scrapbooks" This brand new 10-part email course starts with the 8 biggest scrapbooking mistakes -- and how to avoid them. It then shows you how to get started, organize your 'stuff,' save time, save money, and create beautiful and professional-looking scrapbooks. Visit: ==>
We've also created new ebooks on each topic, which you can read about on the same webpages above. We'd appreciate if you took a moment to check them out.

OK, let's get started...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ What to Do if a Burglar Breaks into Your Home ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the most frightening things that can happen is discovering that an intruder has broken into your home -- especially when it's the middle of the night, and you know they are still there.

About 16% of American households are burglarized each year. Stated differently, a burglary occurs every 13 seconds in the United States.

And unfortunately, thousands of these crimes are committed each year while someone is at home. It certainly makes sense to know what you should do if this ever happens to you!

To help you understand your best options in this extremely scary situation, we interviewed Chris E. McGoey.

Chris is an internationally known Los Angeles-based security consultant and producer of the Crime Doctor website. He is considered to be an expert on residential security matters.

==>

Audri: Welcome, Chris! I really appreciate your taking the time to talk with me and help our ScamBusters subscribers.

Let me begin by asking: what is the best thing you can do to avoid the break-in turning into a tragedy?

Chris: The best thing you can do is to make a plan -- before it ever happens. It's very important to think about this now -- when you are calm and there is no danger.

That's why it's so useful to alert your subscribers ahead of time with interviews like this -- so they can have a plan they hopefully will never need.

There is no single best strategy for dealing with this situation.

Audri: What is the first thing you should do in this situation?

Chris: Be very quiet so you can listen. Try to figure out how many intruders there are. Are they coming toward you? Are they ransacking your house?

If you can, stay in the room you're in and lock and barricade the door. Immediately call the police to get help on the way. Shout to the intruder that the police have been called and are en route.

Audri: What's best: should you stay in the house, confront the intruder, or leave?

Chris: Stay in your home unless the intruder tries to get into your room. Never confront the intruder unless in self-defense.

Another option is that if you can safely escape, do it. For example, if you can safely climb out a window and get help, that's great. However, if you sleep upstairs and can't leave easily, then you'll need to take a different approach.

Audri: Can you share some tips regarding what to do?

Chris: First, be prepared. Second, don't argue with your spouse about what to do -- this just alerts the intruders about where you are before you've taken any action. That's another reason to plan ahead.

Third, it's not a good idea to leave your bedroom carrying a weapon like a baseball bat or a flashlight. If you surprise the intruder, they are more likely to act violently.

Fourth, it's always good to have a safe room. It can be an interior closet with a sturdy door and a deadbolt lock on the inside. Call the police. Make sure you have a cell phone accessible from your safe room -- and make sure it's charged. You should be safe until the police arrive.

Audri: Any advice for calling the police?

Chris: Yes, call the police ASAP. You may have to use a cell phone if the intruders have disabled the phone or have taken the telephone extension off the hook.

Another tip is to be very concise and specific with the police dispatcher.

Say that someone has broken into your home, and that you don't know whether or not they have a weapon. Give your address and any instructions to get there if necessary.

Tell the dispatcher where you are (for example, upstairs in the west bedroom), and where the intruder is (downstairs in the living room).

Audri: What happens if you encounter the intruder?

Chris: Don't stay there or fight or argue... run away or barricade yourself in a room and call 911.

If that doesn't work, try to remain calm and speak in a normal voice.

Tip: Avoid direct eye contact if possible. This can be interpreted as aggressive behavior.

Audri: Should you try to protect yourself with a gun or a knife?

Chris: No. Only confront the intruder with a weapon as a last resort to save your life or a family member. Your property is not worth risking your life.

Carrying a weapon of any kind increases the chances that you or your family members will be hurt.

Audri: Is there anything you can do now to protect yourself if this situation does occur that would be helpful?

Chris: Most burglars will run away if they have wakened you -- unless they have been surprised or confronted.

Audri: What is the single most important advice you can give our subscribers?

Chris: Have a family planning meeting to decide what everyone will do during an emergency or violent intrusion. Someone should always try to escape and get help.

Also, if you have a burglar alarm system, hit the 'panic' button. Learn what to do NOW -- that's much safer than when you're truly panicked.

Audri: Chris, I'd like to thank you very much. This has been very useful. And I recommend that our subscribers visit your website for lots of other articles on home, family, and business security:

==>

Bernd

Good advice. Some of it. Though it sounds like "Chris" is a mouthpiece for Sarah Brady and Lauttenburg.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

You could be right about that. Plus you won't realy want to tell folks to arm themselves in a public forum. It take jobs away from the police and guys like this.

Bernd