OT: photos taken while I do my daily 3 miles

Walkin'this outdoor route can be harder than treadmill miles but I like it much more. I took some photos along the way one day.

Don Foreman

That looks like a very nice walk, Don.

Reply to
cavelamb

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 01:31:17 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Shoot more pics during your January walks there, Don. We'd love to see Mini Soda in de Vintertime. ;)

P.S: Is that a walk, a jog, or a 3-mile sprint?

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Proof that Minnesota is one of the most beautiful places to live. The first flowers are Lilac, correct? The second is maybe honeysuckle? Almost as pretty as apple and strawberry blossoms.

State Hwy 28 runs Little Falls west to South Dakota. So this must be just outside your cabin at the Lake.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Most anything outdoors beats the equivilent treadmill or stationary bike!

Nice pics!

D> Walkin'this outdoor route can be harder than treadmill miles but I

Reply to
RoyJ

Don:

Thanks for sharing the photos. My wife wants to know if you can identify the flowers in #13?

Looks like you are walking between Starbuck and Long Beach, correct?

Tracked it down by the photo showing the intersection of Rt 28 and North Shore Drive.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Pretty good! ...for an old fart.

Reply to
Buerste

Define sprint...

Reply to
Don Foreman

I can't.

Not quite.

North Shore Drive goes west from that intersection. Our cabin is about 1/4 mile from that point, Starbuck is maybe 2 miles. The trail follows N. Shore Drive, then it goes south to Glacier Ridge State Park. The dedicated trail starts across the road from that intersection, goes about northeast for about 1.5 miles then swings east. I don't know yet where it goes from there. Meanwhile, Long Beach is about due east along MN 28.

I plan to explore further this summer with a bike. I know the trail goes to Villard which is beyond Glenwood, but I don't know how much of that is dedicated trail thru the countryside vs a route along various county roads and state highways like it is along N. Shore Drive.

More info here;

Don Foreman

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 00:05:14 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Braggart!

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Since Don wasn't sure...

My first guess was some sort of Honeysuckle (Bush variety) and after some looking through my books I would guess it is Tartarian Honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica). Run the Latin name through google or your favorite search engine and see what you find.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The first flower in photo 6 looks like fire weed to me. Great for honey if you raise bees.

Picture 13 looks like some type of honey suckle. Here in Oregon it's more orange red.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

Maybe someone can tell something from a view of the bush itself. It can be seen at

Don Foreman

Need a better close-up of the flower and leaves to be sure. My first guess was Dames Rocket, which is in bloom here right now. See:

Leon Fisk