OT: Plastic Igus Drylin bearings can be cut?

In case anybody knows...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Can those be cut to make shorter?
I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.
Thanks.
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 16:26:12 -0000 (UTC)

Try reading the Amazon reviews. Sounds like they are brittle, sometimes they are even broken upon receipt...
Years ago when I serviced printers... GE used what we called graphite bearings on their dot matrix print carriages. No lube at all. Worked well but were very brittle. If you happened to drop one on the floor it would break :(
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

That sounds like machined graphite, with no plastic at all.
Joe Gwinn

GE dot matrix printers? How long ago was this? What speeds, shaft diameter and loads? I'm really quite curious. How did they wear?
On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 04:16:24 +0000 (UTC)
<snip>

I've searched for info on these before, nada...
I recall it was a GE Model TN200 Dot Matrix printer, around 1980. Had two maybe 5/8 inch highly polished bars carrying a 7 or 9 pin dot matrix ballistic print head. Movement was done using a servo motor, not a stepper. It was strong, knock your hand out of the way if you weren't careful. I believe it was 200 characters per second speed. Could get it with a full keyboard for terminal use.
The only time the graphite bearings were a problem was if somebody lubed them. Lube was standard on other similar printers so couldn't really blame the customer. Was nasty to fix though. You could try spraying Electro-wash in, slide, wipe, spray, slide, wipe, spray... but you'd get a call back. Needed to remove the bearings and replace them. Think there were three of them. You could clean them once out but at that point just cut your losses and put new in...
GE had a whole line of hammer bank/print belt, dot matrix and after I left laser printers. Company changed from GE to Genicom around the same time in the early 1980's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GENICOM
Manual for a really old TermiNet 300 hammer bank/belt printer here:
https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_geterminetrinterServiceManualOct73_12411300/page/n33/mode/2up
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
Leon Fisk wrote:

Yes, I saw that. Hadn't considered them bring brittle, interesting possibility. Makes sense.
But... Wouldn't the claim they are supposed to be pressed into a sleeve/block in order to slightly reduce the inner diameter suggest they are not brittle?
Then again, maybe they are talking about two different products, one of them a knockoff. Amazon proper sells them for full price, like on the Igus website. Other sellers are about half price. Would be nice if Amazon would at least tout their own sales as LEGITIMATE products. No telling where the others come from.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 08:34:37 -0000 (UTC)
<snip>

I read one mention that they broke the insert while trying to press in place. Also the sizing seemed sloppy...
I usually go straight to the one/two star reviews to find out what people are complaining about. Sometime it's just shipping troubles or a cosmetic issue, no show stopper for my intended use.
I mentioned their being brittle due to you intending to cut them down. May need to use an abrasive cutter to try keeping them from breaking. Also may not work for your intended use. You have a way of using things differently than intended ;-)

Amazons business model seems to be make money any way possible. Dissing sellers by calling or suggesting their products are sub-par wouldn't do well...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 30/03/2021 17:26, John Doe wrote:

Igus do have quite a good technical help service in my experience on the few occasions I have put queries to them. They also supply 3D printing filament in various of their product formulations so you may be able to use your 3D printer to print what you want.
David Billington wrote:

Nice thought, I do have one, being able to print plastic parts is quite cool. Someday, metal! But I would not be an early adopter...
Interesting that Igus makes filament. That's very neat. It suggests a another use for suitable 3D printers.
Mine probably isn't accurate enough, but whatever. I will look at their filaments.
David Billington wrote:

&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you know where their STL models are?
I see a small sample, but I need the linear bearings.
Thanks.
Nevermind.