OT - possible XP SP2 problem

Since installing XP SP2, I've had a problem that has me pulling my hair out.

The best way to describe it. A window is de-selected. While typing this message the cursor disappears as if I had selected another window. But no window is selected. Click on the page and the cursor returns.

It is particularly aggravating to look up after typing a long article and find that the window was de-selected five minutes ago.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Andy Asberry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Andy, What do you have running in the background? Usually when this happens, some other program has launched some window, be it an instant message window, or a hidden window. Could be spyware launching a hidden IE window....or something.

Reply to
Anthony

The best combination I have used is: Sophos AV, Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and ezcleaner. I'm still surprised by the crap that gets through.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Tom Gardner" wrote in news:B5rzd.3498$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

snip

This happens frequently to me too when I inadvertly hit ctrl with my pinky while trying to hit the shift key. It puts focus on other things... Hope this helps.

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

I to have XP SP2 but have never encountered this condition. Highly probable that something else is causing it. Lane

Reply to
Lane

Are you using a laptop? With a "mouse" touch panel in front of the keyboard? Some of these are so sensitive they'll move the mouse (and/or the cursor) if you breathe on them.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Additional info: desktop; no wireless mouse or keyboard; nothing else running except Norton AV.

The spyware may be the right track though. Something else I thought of is all the programs looking for updates. Windows, Norton, Dell, Earthlink, AOL... I'll have to get methodical on this.

Reply to
Andy Asberry