OT: Price fixing by the oil refineries?

Yes.

We were working on-re wiring the hospital at Udorn, Thailand and had to have a "guide" in certain sections of the hospital. One room had some glass sided refrigerators with bottles of red stuff in them. I took a closer look and they were full of blood, marked "Thai blood A+", "American Blood C-" and things like that.

I remember it as I asked about the segregation and was told that putting American into a Thai was like giving him a shot of water as the Thai blood contained significant amounts of anti-bodies that the Americans didn't have.

The fridges were about the size of a normal household fridge and I imagine that someone who wanted to keep medicine could buy one and I suspect that blood is a substance that must be kept under very specific temperature.

Reply to
john B.

And cost about $5,000.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You would be better advised to pack a lot of Brown Gravy mix. You can trade it for food after 3 or 4 days because that's how long people will take to get sick of canned and dried food.

Schilling is good...

Reply to
CaveLamb

I have no idea. We just pulled wires :-)

Reply to
john B.

Anything made for medical use is very expensive, and the glass door isn't energy efficient. I've seen too many of those stainless and glass medicine coolers while waiting for my doctor at the VA. They ran almost constantly, in a 75º F room. How well do you think they would work when it's over 100º F outside, and almost that hot inside?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The ones I saw had double glass walls and doors, nor did they seem to run all the time as we had to disconnect the room for a short period and when we reconnected they all started and that was very noticeable. I assume that had they been running nearly contentiously we'd have noticed as being a hospital we were aware that it might not be the best plan to disconnect things with out asking first.

Reply to
john B.

It depends on how full they are, and how often they have to be opened. At times, they were opened every few minutes, or had just been restocked by a medical courier from the VA hospital. other factors, like where they are placed can affect how much they run. If they are out in the open, they can get rid of the waste heat a lot easier, but a lot sit against a wall, or in a tight corner with very little free airflow, because there just isn't enough free space to do otherwise. They can be powered down for a couple hours, but will reach the upper thermal limit sooner or later. When running, they are closer to the lower thermal limit in case the power goes out.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell