OT: Question on 94 Ranger Brakes

Typical RWAL (rear-wheel anti-lock) systems work by sensing impending rear-wheel lockup, then activating a valve that prevents further hydraulic pressure from reaching the rear wheel cylinders/calipers. In the event that lockup still occurs/is about to occur, a dump valve opens up, bleeding off excess pressure into an accumulator, and preventing rear-wheel lockup. Unfortunately, this also bleeds off front brake pressure as well.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Rear Antilock Braking System rabs

Makes you feel like an idiot to bounce off someones bumper don't it? We ain't 20 anymore so it's time to give more space so the 20 yr olds can cut between you!

Reply to
Beecrofter

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 03:03:35 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

You must like the vibration in your brake pedal. I prefer the good, safe, clean, flat surface provided by taking a few thou off the rotors, thanks. Of course, I drive a REAL truck, not a mini and I don't need a kidney belt to drive it. (Ah, fond memories of the old 70's Dachshund trucks come to mind.)

(OK, so it's only a F-150. It and I think of it as real.)

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:33:55 GMT, "Peter Grey" brought forth from the murky depths:

Um, heat-glazed pads can't be deglazed by heating, Peter. Glazing is -caused- by the fast stops.

A bit of 120 grit sandpaper will remove the glaze, though. It doesn't hurt to scuff the rotors with that, either.

I do this to my rear drum brakes annually, too, removing the built-up dust while I'm at it. Once the rain starts, they tend to lock up for the first couple morning stops if the brake dust is left in there.

I got 75k miles on the front pads and only replaced the rear linings then because I wanted a smooth pedal. They were down to about 60% and could have lasted over 100k with the minor annual maintenance I gave them. Drums always get a bit eggy, though, and I prefer a conventional foot massage to the brake pedal type, thankyouverymuch.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tom, very interesting, I've never heard this before. Thanks Lane

Reply to
lane

You got that right!

Reply to
lane

The idea isn't to break the glaze by getting them hot, it's to break the glaze by using them hard. Then to prevent them from re-glazing, you cool them by driving around so that they get decent air flow. Glazing can occur by getting the pads hot and then letting them sit with no air flowing over them. One can also get warped rotors and trash your fluid from this, but that's another subject.

Glazing isn't caused by fast stops. If it was, race cars would all have glazed pads after half a lap. Glazing is caused by not cooling the pads properly after getting them hot.

I used to teach road racing. Whenever I taught at a marque club school where people drive their own cars on track, we'd remind people to heat cycle their brakes once before depending on them too much.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Most modern cars (in fact I don't know of any that don't) isolate different parts of the hydraulic system to prevent total brake failure. The Explorer (and I imagine the Ranger) RABS does bleed off pressure but only to the rear wheels. The front brakes work at the same pressure levels regardless of what's happening at the rear end.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

That is nice to know, thanks Peter Lane

Reply to
lane

My problem is adjusting the parking brake pedal. Ford provides no clevis adj. The cables are connected by a metal clip arrangement. A Ford service writer told me they have Never adjusted a parking brake. I find this hard to believe.

I hate to use the little clamp gizmo that sort of puts a kink in the cable.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

What vibration in the brake peddle?

Gunner The methodology of the left has always been:

  1. Lie
Gunner

Exactly what I was thinking!

Reply to
lane

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:44:30 -0800, "lane" brought forth from the murky depths:

Perhaps it's more pronounced in the 4-cylinder calipers, but warped drums and wavy rotors cause it in most vehicles. Pay attention to your brake pedal (proper spelling) for the next week or so and tell me you don't feel a thing. Just try. Boafayas. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so *

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:09:16 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

I didn't think you'd grok "undulation".

P.S: There are no "peddles" in automobiles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so *

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't be too hasty, Larry. I've met plenty of grunts that grokked undulation. Not all of them enjoyed it. It goes without saying that none could spell it.

R, Tom Q. USN, Ret.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

You're right - warped rotors will cause a pulsing pedal, but if you're just replacing the pads because of wear and the rotor isn't warped, there's no overwhelming need to turn them. They'll be fine. Nine times out of ten (yes, I have changed the front pads on my Explorer that many times!), I just throw pads at it and the brakes are fine.

Hey, some of my cars had peddles. The little red fire engine I had as a kid had two of them. I didn't have much concern about warped rotors, though...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Peter Grey wrote: (clip) Hey, some of my cars had peddles. The little red fire engine I had as a kid had two of them (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The sales person who sold the little red fire engine was a peddler. You, as the driver, were a pedaler.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Whoops! You're right! And I did know better....

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Thats what a belly dancer does, right?

Sure there are. Stereos, Mexican music tapes and CDs, Chinese calenders, stolen tools. At least here in L.A.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I've locked the brakes in the front on my 94, but it's hard to do without having the back come around. My parking brake works

1994 b2300 with 329k miles

Charlie

--

73 KC2IXE For the Children - RKBA! You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

--Lazarus Long

Reply to
Charles Gallo