No brakes!

Does anybody make a kit to add brakes to the Spectrum On30 skeleton log cars?

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Not sure what all or type brake parts you are after but here are two links that might be of some help for 1:48 scale parts.Bruce

Bruce Favinger

Oops! Sorry. I'm looking for 1800s-style (non-air) brakes with the shoes attached to beams.

Thanks. I'm check those out.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Logging cars were often built from parts supplied by a foundry and thus, things like brakes varied a lot according to the manufacturer and the builder at the road. Generally, the staff was a horizontal one for the skeleton cars so that the brakes could be set while the guy was on the ground. Often the brakewheel only handled one truck and if there was 2 truck actuation, there was an equalizing lever somewhere in the middle of the body of the car towards the brakewheel end. I'd use the Grantline parts that will fit on your trucks and do the pullrods that go to the trucks as needed. Don't forget to make a bit of chain to the brakewheel mechanism as the rods don't bend too well. Remember that everything is pull as any pushing needs a lot of support of the rods to prevent bending. I'll also note that all cars were run in the same direction so that the guy that set the brakes could do all of the cars from one side of the train.

-- There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans! Go count if you don't believe me! Bob May

Reply to
Bob May